More Teachers are Coming to the Halton Catholic District School Board Soon
Despite many teachers across Ontario fearing layoffs and cuts recently, more teachers are coming to the Halton Catholic District School Board (HCDSB) for the 2019-20 school year. This was revealed during a recent board meeting (June 18, 2019).
Also during the meeting, the HCDSB approved the 2019-20 budget estimates of $428,758,303.
But, as noted in a recent media release, this may not be enough.
"The board's 2019-2020 budget estimates outline an operating deficit of $278,000 and a total in-year deficit available for compliance of $812,000," reads the release. "Revenue has been estimated at $435.6 million, and expenses have been estimated at $428.8 million."
It was also noted that student enrolment is expected to increase by 2.6 per cent, with an average daily enrolment of 23,702 elementary students and 12,808 secondary students for the 2019-20 school year.
And while 189 staff positions within the Halton District School Board (HDSB) were reduced, the HCDSB, as mentioned, is increasing staff in order to accommodate the expected growth.
"A total of 36.8 staff positions will be added for the 2019-2020 school year, including 16 new elementary teachers, 10.3 new secondary teachers, and 10.5 school support staff," reads the release. "The Budget Estimates also include a number of program enhancements."
The final budget estimates had to be submitted to the Ministry of Education by June 28, 2019.
Currently, the HCDSB operates 45 elementary schools, nine secondary schools, and three continuing education facilities, and serves over 35,000 students.
- No mask, no service? Businesses have the right to require masks on customers
- Ontario says more heath providers can reopen including dentists, optometrists
- Rainfall advisory issued for Burlington, Milton, Oakville
- Ontario extends emergency orders for COVID-19 pandemic until June 9
- Driver flees scene on foot after crash in Burlington
- Here’s Why the Halton District School Board’s Budgets Were Reduced
- Enrolment Within the Halton District School Board Expected to Increase
- HCDSB Announces Land Purchase for New Milton Secondary School
- A Big Change is Coming to the Halton Catholic District School Board
- Halton District School Board Cancelling Programs And Rentals Due To Strike