New Red Light Camera on the Oakville Border
Drivers, be on your best behaviour when you’re rushing to pick up a pizza or dry-cleaning -- a new red light camera is now catching motorists on the Oakville border.
"Red light runners cause right-angle T-bone collisions that are some of the worst and most deadly," said the Region of Peel’s manager of traffic and sustainable transportation Joe Avsec.
The camera is located along Winston Churchill Blvd. at Bromsgrove Rd./Sheridan Garden Dr., which is a daily route for those living in the Kingsway area — and possibly a regular commute for those Burlingtonians heading to the Clarkson GO station from the QEW.
The camera is technically in Mississauga since it’s at the southeast corner of the intersection. It’s one of 13 recently installed locations and one of 28 in total across Mississauga and Brampton (we’re looking out for those of you who don’t have the luxury of working in Halton!).
The other 12 new locations (installed last month) are listed below:
- Derry Road West @ Shelter Bay Road/Copenhagen Road
- Steeles Avenue East @ Bramalea Go Station Entrance
- Derry Road West @ Financial Drive
- Dixie Road @ Orenda Road/Birchbank Road
- Derry Road West @ Meadowvale Boulevard/Creditview Road
- Britannia Road West @ Latimer Drive
- Airport Road @ Steeles Avenue East
- Dixie Road @ Queen Street East
- Queen Street East @ Torbram Road
- Airport Road @ Bovaird Drive/Castlemore Road
- Bovaird Drive West @ Brisdale Drive/Pertosa Drive
- Steeles Avenue West @ Tait Boulevard/Windmill Boulevard
Adding red light cameras to new locations “will condition drivers to improve awareness in these zones too,” said Avsec.
“The best move all drivers can make is to be prepared to stop. There's no good excuse for running a red and it's not worth the risk.”
The 15 existing locations are here:
- Derry Road @ Rexwood Road
- Erin Mills Parkway @ Folkway Drive
- Queen Street East @ Laurelcrest Street/West Drive
- Erin Mills Parkway @ Credit Valley Road
- Steeles Avenue East @ Rutherford Road/First Gulf Boulevard
- Steeles Avenue East @ Bramalea Road
- Airport Road @ Williams Parkway East
- Derry Road @Airport Road
- Steeles Avenue East @ Resolution Drive/Home Depot Entrance
- Airport Road @ Queen Street East
- Mississauga Road @ Meadowvale Boulevard
- Derry Road @ Tomken Road
- Derry Road @ Hurontario Street
- Erin Mills Parkway @ Eglinton Avenue
- Derry Road @ Winston Churchill Boulevard
To be clear, signage warns drivers that they’re in a red light camera area.
As for how it all works, the camera is triggered when a vehicle enters the intersection on a red light.
Photos are reviewed by provincial offence officers and tickets are mailed to owners of the vehicles. The set fine for running a red light is $325 and includes a $60 victim surcharge and $5 court cost.