Oakville Introducing Tow Truck Licensing
The Town of Oakville will be implementing a tow truck by-law this year that will regulate towing prices and ensure that only licensed tow truck companies, drivers and vehicle storage yards operate in Oakville.
“Residents have been experiencing exorbitant towing fees,” said Mayor Rob Burton.
“Council has asked staff to look at options that will put the appropriate - and necessary - controls in place.”
Last month, we told you about cars getting towed in Bronte and drivers forking over $367.
While towing is largely under the province’s jurisdiction, staff will be looking into actions that can be taken under the town’s business licensing by-law to curb unreasonable rates and unfair practices within the community.
There will be an open house information session on Friday, August 3, from 12:30 p.m. until 2:30 p.m. at Sixteen Mile Sports Complex where residents and members of the industry can learn more.
“Our goal of introducing a tow truck licensing by-law is to ensure residents and visitors have safe, consistent and reliable options after a collision or breakdown or when their vehicle is towed from private commercial property, while providing fair and reasonable regulations to tow truck operators,” said director of municipal enforcement services Jim Barry.
Town staff will be on hand to explain some of the proposed regulations at the open house.
A draft by-law will go to council in September.
If you plan to attend the meeting on August 3 and have accessibility needs, please contact Margaret Boswell by July 27 at 905-845-6601, ext. 3350 or margaret [dot] boswell [at] oakville [dot] ca
- Burlington man charged with trafficking crack cocaine
- Unpopular Opinion: 'Free speech' is not a thing and good riddance to 'Grapes'
- Here's what you need to earn to 'live' in Halton
- Don Cherry appears on Fox News to speak out against his firing
- Canada Post urging Halton customers to reset their passwords
- Important Changes Coming to Tow Truck Licensing in Oakville This Year
- Important Changes Surrounding Tow Truck Licensing in Oakville Coming into Effect
- Open House for Taxi Licensing in Oakville
- 'Towing Bill of Rights' Launched to Help Drivers in Ontario
- Police Cracking Down on Transport Truck Drivers