Oakville Man Facing Multiple Charges After Attempting to Escape Police
An Oakville man is facing multiple charges after attempting to escape from Hamilton Police.
Earlier this morning (March 6, 2019), around 12:30 a.m. Hamilton Police observed a Lexus Crossover vehicle travelling on Highway 6, in the area of Concession 6, at a high speed.
Police attempted to conduct a traffic stop but the driver failed to comply.
However, eventually the vehicle pulled onto the shoulder where it was boxed in by police.
The driver tried to escape by repeatedly engaging contact between his vehicle and police vehicles.
Once police were able to remove him from his vehicle, the driver was placed under arrest.
Following an investigation, it was confirmed that the vehicle was going 127 km/h in an 80 km/h zone.
Evidence related to readily accessible alcohol and cannabis was found after police searched the vehicle.
Hamilton Police also looked into the driver’s status.
“An investigation into the driver’s status revealed he was operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol and his license had been suspended,” reads a Hamilton Police news release
Police also learned about two outstanding warrants of arrest for the driver from neighbouring police services in relation to a violent crime incident, and failing to appear in court for a previous alcohol-related driving offence.
The driver was taken into police custody and is expected to appear at the John Sopinka Courthouse later today to answer to several charges.
As a result of this incident, a 28-year-old Oakville man is facing the following alleged charges.
- Dangerous operation motor vehicle
- Flight from police
- Operate conveyance while impaired
- Operate conveyance equal or exceed 80 mg/100 ml
- Drive while under suspension
- Open alcohol in a motor vehicle
- Operate motor vehicle with cannabis readily accessible
- Oakville Suspect Arrested After Driver Flees Police in Stolen Vehicle
- Police Investigating Motor Vehicle Collision in Burlington
- Suspect Facing Charges After Driving Vehicle Onto a Milton Golf Course
- Driver Facing Charges After Insane Speeding Incident in Halton Hills
- Driver Flees After Striking Police Vehicle in Burlington