Oakville Resident Arrested for Double Homicide in Hamilton
An Oakville man has been arrested in connection with a double homicide in Hamilton.
According to Hamilton Police, approximately 3:45 a.m. on July 9, 2018, Carla and Alan Rutherford's residence at 8 Greening Court in Dundas was intentionally set on fire by an unknown perpetrator. Carla and Alan were asleep in their home at the time.
Carla was unable to escape the blaze and succumbed to her injuries. Alan was able to escape the fire, but not before trying to save his wife and family dogs. Alan was gravely injured and was transported to hospital by EMS with life-threatening injuries. He died hours later.
After a lengthy investigation by police with the assistance of the Ontario Fire Marshal's Office, police arrested 42-year-old Richard Taylor from Oakville. He was arrested on January 23 and charged with two counts of First Degree Murder in the deaths of his mother and his stepfather.
The suspect had a first court appearance today at the John Sopinka Courthouse located at 45 Main St. E. in Hamilton. Hamilton Police are not seeking any other individual in relation to this crime and believe the murder of Richard Taylor’s mother and stepfather was financially motivated.
Anyone with more information in this case is encouraged to contact Detective Ben Adams of the Major Crime Unit at 905-546-3836 or provide information anonymously through Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or submitting anonymous tips online at http://www.crimestoppershamilton.com
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: 401 completely closed in both directions due to collision in Milton
- WATCH: Stunt drivers and street racers 'hijack' roads and parking lots; Oakville man charged
- A severe thunderstorm watch is now in effect for Halton
- Police searching for woman last seen in Oakville area
- 446 new COVID-19 cases reported in Ontario, 723 total cases found in Halton
- Hamilton double-murder suspect found dead in hotel room
- Hamilton police identify 14-year-old murder victim
- Police Issue Canada-Wide Arrest Warrant for Murder Suspects
- UPDATE: Halton Police Arrest 15-Year-Old Hamilton Youth Following Burlington Robbery
- BREAKING: Man Arrested in Connection with Murder of 14 Year Old Boy in Mississauga