Oakville Suspect Arrested After Driver Flees Police in Stolen Vehicle
An Etobicoke man is facing charges after allegedly fleeing from Halton police in Oakville early Tuesday.
The incident took place around 3:20 a.m.
That’s when officers tried to conduct a traffic stop near Lakeshore Rd. W. and Wilson St. for a Highway Traffic Act-related offence.
The driver failed to stop, leaving the area at a high rate of speed, police allege.
Police didn’t pursue the man but found the abandoned suspect vehicle a short time later.
It turns out the vehicle had recently been stolen from Toronto.
Officers found the driver nearby and arrested the man.
Peter Richard Verba, 26, is charged with flight from police; possession of property obtained by crime over $5,000; three counts of disobey court order; two counts of fail to comply probation order; fail to comply recognizance.
He’s also facing a drive while under suspension charge under the Highway Traffic Act.
Verba was held for a bail hearing.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Det.-Const. Shane Glenfield from the 2 District criminal investigations bureau at 905-825-4747 ext. 2263.
Tips can be forwarded to Crime Stoppers, “See Something, Hear Something, Know Something” at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), though the web at www.crimestoppers.ca or by texting “Tip201” with your message to 274637 (crimes).
- Three Oakville teens arrested following robbery and assault
- Halton Police issue warning after 'intentional collisions' from vehicle thieves
- First glimpse of Canada’s true COVID-19 infection rate expected mid-July
- House of the Week: 6 beds and 6 baths in South Oakville
- Burlington's Walk Off The Earth releases latest viral hit ahead of Canada Day