Oakville’s Lakeshore Road Reconstruction Project Officially Underway
Back in March of this year, inhalton reported on a reconstruction project that is planned for Lakeshore Road in Oakville.
Now, the town has announced that Oakville has officially broken ground, marking the beginning of the Lakeshore Road Reconstruction and Streetscape Project.
This project, as noted in a recent press release, is part of Oakville’s $20 million investment to revitalize the downtown area.
“Downtown Oakville is the heart of our community and we are excited to get this project underway and move forward with a vibrant Lakeshore Road that shows the best of Oakville’s history and livability,” Mayor Rob Burton said in the release. “Downtown Oakville will be open throughout the construction with a pop-up park, various community events and parking program.”
The reconstruction project, notes the release, will include enhanced roadways, tree-lined boulevards, beautified streets, improved pedestrian and cycleways, increasing accessibility, mobility, and connectivity.
However, that’s not all.
“The flexible design will facilitate access for special events and festivals,” reads the release. “A two-metre marking zone in front of each storefront will enable restaurants and retailers to use street space as part of their downtown presence. In addition, new traditional streetscape furnishings (streetlights, benches, bike rings and bollards) will maintain the character of the main street.”
In addition, smart city elements, such as public Wi-Fi, people counters, electric charging stations, and more, will be integrated into the project.
This project will be completed in two phases over a two-year period.
According to the release, the first phase (Navy Street to Dunn Street) kicked off on April 22 and is expected to be completed in November of this year. The second phase (Dunn Street to Allan Street) will be carried out from April to November (in 2020).
For more information about this project, click here.
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Woodbine Mohawk Park in Milton
- Body pulled from water near Burlington lift bridge: Hamilton Police
- Oakville restaurant named a top 'date night' spot in Canada
- Indian police arrest phone scammers targeting Canadians
- Burlington and Oakville rent rates continue to skyrocket
- Here’s the Latest on Oakville’s Lakeshore Road Reconstruction Project
- Here's What's Happening to Keep People Shopping in Downtown Oakville
- Here’s What’s Happening with Lakeshore Road in Oakville
- Upcoming Road Closure in Oakville to Take Note of
- Here's What's Happening With Lakeshore Road in Oakville