One Dead, One Seriously Injured After Vehicle Drives on Sidewalk in Burlington
Several people have been hospitalized after a vehicle went out of control this morning in Burlington.
Police got a call at 10:05 a.m. for a vehicle driving erratically on Fairview Street.
The vehicle went off the roadway and onto the sidewalk, striking a male pedestrian.
Police say the vehicle continued onwards, hitting a female in the area of Chaps Restaurant on Fairview before eventually colliding with the restaurant’s patio.
The female victim was pronounced dead at the scene.
The male victim, around 19 years old, was seriously injured and taken via helicopter to Hamilton General Hospital in life threatening condition. Police say the victim’s leg was amputated below the knee.
The driver, a male in his 70s, was also taken to Hamilton General Hospital with medical issues.
Fairview is currently closed between Woodview Rd and Commerce Ct.
Halton police’s Collision Reconstruction Unit is investigating.
Police have identified the driver and both victims as all being Burlington residents.
The female victim is 58. Police are attempting to notify next of kin.
The male victim remains in serious condition and is accompanied by his family at the hospital.
Police say the driver, 73, is in stable condition. His family has been notified.
It’s believed that the driver may have had a medical issue while driving, which may have lead to the collision. The investigation is ongoing.
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Halton Police catch vehicle illegally passing school bus
- Charges laid in Oakville labour trafficking investigation: Halton Police
- Unexpected airport closure leaves Canadian travellers stranded on Cuban island
- Three arrested after robbery suspects ram cruiser: Halton Police
- PHOTOS: Three people arrested after vehicle strikes police cruiser in Burlington parking lot
- Police Looking to ID Alleged Car Thief After Officer Injured in Stolen Vehicle Collision in Burlington
- Overnight Stabbing in Burlington Sends Victim to Hospital
- Cyclist in Hospital After Being Struck by Vehicle in Burlington
- 4 sent to hospital in multi-vehicle collision off Trafalgar Rd
- Victim in Fatal Burlington Crash Identified by Police