Ontario to Start Providing More Transitional Surgeries for Transgender Residents
Trans and gender-diverse residents might be relieved to hear that important transitional surgeries are about to become more accessible in Ontario.
Recently, Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, spoke out on the subject (during Pride month, fittingly enough).
“For some trans and gender-diverse people in Ontario, transition-related surgeries are necessary," Hoskins said in a statement. "Every person has the right to be who they are. Our health care system should reflect and support this, which is why our government is continuing its work to improve access to transition-related surgeries."
Hoskins said the province is working with a number of health care partners, including Women’s College Hospital, Rainbow Health Ontario, a program of Sherbourne Health Centre and more to increase access to insured transition-related surgeries.
Going forward, Ontario is increasing access to top surgery (surgery to make one's chest more reflective of the gender they're transitioning to). The province will also be providing in-province genital surgery for the first time in 2018, making Ontario the second jurisdiction in Canada to provide access to this type of procedure.
Since trans rights and issues have been very top of mind, the timing couldn't be more appropriate.
"This will build on our ongoing efforts to better support trans and gender-diverse people in Ontario. Last year, we expanded access to referrals for transition-related surgeries, which led to many more people receiving more timely referrals for the insured surgery they need. However, we know there is more work to be done," said Hoskins.
"I believe that acceptance, respect and diversity are our province’s most cherished strengths. Our government is committed to ensuring that everyone in Ontario receives high quality care and that they are treated ethically, equitably and fairly.”
- Burlington Declares a Climate Emergency
- Two Suspects Sought Following Cheese Wheel Theft at Fortinos in Burlington
- 18 Restaurants That Will Give You Free Food On Your Birthday Near Halton
- PHOTOS: Driving Caught Travelling at High Speed on Rural Road in Halton
- Police Investigating Alleged Assault at Walmart in Milton
- You Can Now Find Wait Times Info Online for Surgeries and Procedures
- Provincial Government Announces New Dental Care Program for Seniors in Ontario
- Province Launches Strategy to End Gender-Based Violence in Ontario
- Halton Region Seeks Meeting With Ontario's Minister of Health
- Major Changes Coming to Mental Health Services Across Ontario