Ontario to Start Providing More Transitional Surgeries for Transgender Residents
Trans and gender-diverse residents might be relieved to hear that important transitional surgeries are about to become more accessible in Ontario.
Recently, Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, spoke out on the subject (during Pride month, fittingly enough).
“For some trans and gender-diverse people in Ontario, transition-related surgeries are necessary," Hoskins said in a statement. "Every person has the right to be who they are. Our health care system should reflect and support this, which is why our government is continuing its work to improve access to transition-related surgeries."
Hoskins said the province is working with a number of health care partners, including Women’s College Hospital, Rainbow Health Ontario, a program of Sherbourne Health Centre and more to increase access to insured transition-related surgeries.
Going forward, Ontario is increasing access to top surgery (surgery to make one's chest more reflective of the gender they're transitioning to). The province will also be providing in-province genital surgery for the first time in 2018, making Ontario the second jurisdiction in Canada to provide access to this type of procedure.
Since trans rights and issues have been very top of mind, the timing couldn't be more appropriate.
"This will build on our ongoing efforts to better support trans and gender-diverse people in Ontario. Last year, we expanded access to referrals for transition-related surgeries, which led to many more people receiving more timely referrals for the insured surgery they need. However, we know there is more work to be done," said Hoskins.
"I believe that acceptance, respect and diversity are our province’s most cherished strengths. Our government is committed to ensuring that everyone in Ontario receives high quality care and that they are treated ethically, equitably and fairly.”
- Police Investigating Armed Robbery in Burlington
- 5 Hottest Restaurants in Oakville, Burlington and Milton – Nov. 10 – Nov. 16
- New Retailers Officially Open at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Here’s Everything we Know About This Huge Holiday Market in Milton
- House of the Week: $2.8 Mil Burlington Home That Overlooks the Water
- You Can Now Find Wait Times Info Online for Surgeries and Procedures
- Province Launches Strategy to End Gender-Based Violence in Ontario
- Halton Region Seeks Meeting With Ontario's Minister of Health
- Major Changes Coming to Mental Health Services Across Ontario
- Abortion Pill Set to be Available Across Ontario at No Cost