Pair Charged in Purse Thefts Targeting Seniors Across Halton
Two suspects are facing charges following grocery store purse thefts targeting seniors in Burlington, Milton, and Georgetown.
It began on April 3.
That’s when two males went to Food Basics stores and used distraction techniques to steal purses from unsuspecting elderly females, Halton police allege.
One suspect would ask a woman for help while his accomplice stole their purses, say investigators.
Cash and credit cards were taken from the handbags, which were tossed.
Stolen credit cards were immediately used at multiple stores close to the location of each theft, police allege.
The suspects returned to the Georgetown location on April 4 at 1:35 p.m.
But sharp-eyed employees recognized them, quickly contacting police.
The suspects left in a vehicle.
Witnesses got their licence plate and police connected the vehicle to a Brampton address.
The vehicle was stopped and the suspects were arrested at 4:10 p.m.
Bogdan Dymiter, 20, of Brampton is facing three counts of theft under $5,000.
A 17-year-old youth - whose name is protected under the Youth Criminal Justice Act - is also charged with three counts of theft under $5,000.
They were held pending a bail hearing.
The investigation is continuing and further charges are expected, say police.
Anyone who may have additional information concerning this investigation can contact Detective Derek Moyes of the One District Criminal Investigations Bureau at 905-825-4747 ext. 2114.
Tips can also be submitted to Crime Stoppers “See something? Hear something? Know something? Contact Crime Stoppers” at 1-800-222- 477 (TIPS) or through the web at www.haltoncrimestoppers.ca
- Rollover collision causing highway delays in Milton
- Burlington Liberal Calls Out Conservatives for "Jewish Targeting" Literature
- What's Open and Closed Thanksgiving Monday in Burlington, Oakville, and Milton
- One Beer Store location will remain open in Burlington on Thanksgiving
- Beef and veal products recalled due to E. coli
- Suspect Facing Charges Following A Series of Vehicle Thefts in Georgetown
- Suspect Charged After Purse Theft from Senior in Burlington
- Police Nab Alleged Purse Thieves Targeting Women in Oakville and Burlington
- Woman Charged in Oakville and Burlington Purse Thefts
- UPDATE: Suspects Arrested Following Vehicle Entries in Oakville