PHOTOS: One Man Dead After Transport Truck Crash Near Milton
A 45-year-old man from Richmond Hill has died following a transport truck collision near Milton.
OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt recently reported that officers and emergency crews are on scene at a multi-vehicle collision involving three transport trucks on the eastbound 401 in Mississauga.
Initial reports said the collision, which took place between Winston Churchill Blvd. and Mississauga Rd., involved just two transport trucks.
Schmidt said that all eastbound lanes remain closed at Winston Churchill Blvd.
The westbound side of the 401 is open, but traffic is heavy due to the visual distraction.
In a video posted to Twitter, Schmidt says one vehicle (which appears to haul gravel), smashed into the back of a tractor trailer hauling camper trailers. That tractor trailer then collided with another truck.
The crash occurred shortly before noon today (June 26).
It is not yet known what might have prompted the crash.
"This happened on a very flat stretch of highway, the roads are dry, the sky is clear," says Schmidt. "We're going to be looking into all the possible scenarios that could have contributed to this collision, whether or not there were any mechanical defects that could have contributed."
The OPP collision reconstruction team is currently investigating.
Lanes in the area will remain closed for at least two to three more hours, Schmidt says.
Extensive delays are to be expected.
Commuters are asked to avoid the area.
All photos courtesy of the OPP
- Burlington Declares a Climate Emergency
- Two Suspects Sought Following Cheese Wheel Theft at Fortinos in Burlington
- 18 Restaurants That Will Give You Free Food On Your Birthday Near Halton
- PHOTOS: Driving Caught Travelling at High Speed on Rural Road in Halton
- Police Investigating Alleged Assault at Walmart in Milton
- Highway 401 Closed Following Second Collision in Milton
- VIDEO: Milton Man Dead After Crash Closes Part of 403 in Mississauga
- VIDEO: Transport Truck Rollover Causing Highway Delays
- PHOTOS: Truck Fire Halts Traffic on Hwy. 401 in Milton
- Major Delays Caused After Transport Truck Rolls into Ditch in Milton