PHOTOS: One Man Dead After Transport Truck Crash Near Milton
A 45-year-old man from Richmond Hill has died following a transport truck collision near Milton.
OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt recently reported that officers and emergency crews are on scene at a multi-vehicle collision involving three transport trucks on the eastbound 401 in Mississauga.
Initial reports said the collision, which took place between Winston Churchill Blvd. and Mississauga Rd., involved just two transport trucks.
Schmidt said that all eastbound lanes remain closed at Winston Churchill Blvd.
The westbound side of the 401 is open, but traffic is heavy due to the visual distraction.
In a video posted to Twitter, Schmidt says one vehicle (which appears to haul gravel), smashed into the back of a tractor trailer hauling camper trailers. That tractor trailer then collided with another truck.
The crash occurred shortly before noon today (June 26).
It is not yet known what might have prompted the crash.
"This happened on a very flat stretch of highway, the roads are dry, the sky is clear," says Schmidt. "We're going to be looking into all the possible scenarios that could have contributed to this collision, whether or not there were any mechanical defects that could have contributed."
The OPP collision reconstruction team is currently investigating.
Lanes in the area will remain closed for at least two to three more hours, Schmidt says.
Extensive delays are to be expected.
Commuters are asked to avoid the area.
All photos courtesy of the OPP
- Three Vehicles Involved in Collision in Milton
- Man Arrested in Oakville for Carjacking, Kidnapping 96 Year Old Woman
- Oakville House of the Week: Chic and Rustic $2 Mil Bronte East Home
- Popular Cafe Opens Inside Oakville Grocery Store
- House of the Week: $2.8 Mil Burlington Home That Overlooks the Water
- Highway 401 Closed Following Second Collision in Milton
- VIDEO: Milton Man Dead After Crash Closes Part of 403 in Mississauga
- PHOTOS: Truck Fire Halts Traffic on Hwy. 401 in Milton
- PHOTOS: 'Like a Bomb Has Gone Off' in Hwy. 401 Milton Crash
- Multi-Vehicle Hwy. 401 Crash Snarling Traffic at Milton Border