Police Nab Human Trafficking Suspects With Ties to Burlington
Victims - potentially in Oakville, Burlington, Milton, and Halton Hills - are being asked to contact Toronto police after two suspects were arrested in an ongoing human trafficking investigation.
Police allege a 26-year-old woman met two men on Oct. 2, 2017 and was forced to perform sexual services in multiple cities over five days.
The men took the money from the woman.
During those five days, the woman was assaulted on numerous occasions by both men.
They also took her identification and refused to provide her with food and money, investigators allege, and when the woman said she wanted to leave, the men intimidated her and threatened to kill her.
She escaped on Oct. 6 and contacted police.
The men - known to frequent the Burlington, Hamilton and Niagara Falls, Toronto, and Oshawa areas - were arrested on Jan. 6.
Tshibangu Kazadi, also known as Yannick Kazadi, 26, of Whitby, is charged with: financial/material benefit trafficking person over 18; three counts of procuring/exercising control; withholding travel documents; trafficking in persons; advertising another person’s sexual services; uttering threats; assault; mischief under $5,000; forcible confinement.
Marc-Etienne Fortin, 25, of Quebec City, is charged with: financial/material benefit trafficking person over 18; three counts of procuring/exercising control; withholding travel documents; trafficking in persons; assault with a weapon; two counts of uttering threats; advertising another person’s sexual services; mischief under $5,000; forcible confinement; possession of cocaine.
Investigators say they’re concerned there may be other victims and are encouraging anyone who’s affected to come forward and report human trafficking.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-3200, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637).
Photos courtesy of Toronto Police
- UPDATE: Police Release New Photos of Suspect Following Hate Crimes in Burlington
- Motorcyclist Pronounced Dead After Serious Crash in Burlington
- Here's How the Toronto Raptors Celebrated Their Championship Win
- Police Asking For Public's Assistance To Locate Missing 11-Year-Old Girl
- Driver Pronounced Dead After Serious Collision In Burlington
- GTA Suspects Charged With Sex Assault and Human Trafficking
- Three People Charged in Human Trafficking Investigation Involving Tinder
- Toronto Man Charged Again in Human Trafficking Case
- Police Looking For Man Wanted in Connection With Violent Assault and Human Trafficking Offences in GTA
- Toronto Man Charged in Human Trafficking Case