Police Warning Public About Vehicle Thefts in Oakville
Halton Police are warning the public about vehicle thefts in Oakville.
According to police, there has been an increase in the amount of thefts from vehicles in the Oakville area.
"Over the past few weeks, suspects have been targeting locked vehicles and smashing windows to gain access," reads a Halton Police press release. "Thieves have been stealing valuables left inside the vehicles, such as cash and electronics."
Police are reminding the public of the following:
- Always park in well-lit areas
- Never leave valuables in plain sight
- Ensure your vehicle doors are always locked
- Always roll up vehicle windows
- Take electronics with you
- Never leave vehicle running and unattended
Police are asking the public to report any suspicious activity, especially overnight and in the early morning hours.
"It is also important to file a police report if your vehicle is broken into, even if nothing is taken," notes the release.
Tips can be submitted to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or through the web at www.haltoncrimestoppers.ca.
- Derry Road closed in Milton for police investigation
- Special weather statement regarding "significant snowfall" in effect for Halton
- Heavy snow warning issued for Burlington, Milton, Oakville
- VIDEO: Vehicle fire snarling traffic in Oakville
- GO Train service on Milton, Lakeshore East corridors suspended