Province implements emergency order to support long-term care homes
The provincial government announced today that it’s taking emergency measures to support the more vulnerable residents living in Ontario’s long-term care homes.
The Ministry of Long-Term Care will be redeploying its qualified inspectors — including nurses, dieticians, and physiotherapists — to directly assist long-term care homes with staff supply, care coordination, preventing infections in the homes, and more.
The goal is to help long-term care homes tackle the current outbreak by addressing restrictions around staffing, reporting complaints, and documentation.
“The COVID-19 global pandemic presents challenges the likes of which we have not seen before,” said Dr. Merrilee Fullerton, Minister of Long-Term Care.
“I want to assure you that we are working around the clock to keep your loved ones safe and we will not stop acting to keep long-term care residents and staff safe and secure.”
The government says this measure was similarly taken during the SARS outbreak in 2003, citing its effectiveness in supporting homes through that pandemic.
The government also cites several enhanced measures that have been introduced in long-term care homes to help reduce the spread of COVID-19, such as increasing bed availability and ensuring sufficient nursing and personal support care staff are available.
“I want to thank the dedicated staff of these homes who are working tirelessly during these unprecedented times,” said Fullerton.
- No mask, no service? Businesses have the right to require masks on customers
- Driver flees scene on foot after crash in Burlington
- Ontario says more heath providers can reopen including dentists, optometrists
- Conservation Halton implementing reservation system for public parks
- Ontario extends emergency orders for COVID-19 pandemic until June 9
- Ontario emergency order gives it more control over long-term care homes
- OHC concerned with rise in COVID-19 cases among long-term care residents and staff
- Five military members catch COVID-19 on deployment in long-term care homes
- Ontario announces independent commission into long-term care
- Ontario asks long-term care homes for plan to stem the spread of COVID-19