Province pledges to provide more funding to Francophone communities
The provincial government has announced its intention to help support Francophone communities across the province.
As part of the redesigned Francophone Community Grants Program, 48 community organizations and businesses will receive $1 million in funding according to an announcement from Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Francophone Affairs.
The program is intended to be a way to support the cultural and economic development of the province's Francophone communities--both for-profit, and not-for-profit.
The funding will go towards improving front-line services, as well as promoting the French-language and culture.
Additionally, the project will allow these communities to provide festivals, cultural events, training and recruitment activities to help businesses find bilingual workers, as well as workshop initiatives, and marketing and promotional supports.
“The Francophone Community Grants Program is a central element of our government’s plan to build the capacity of Francophone organizations across Ontario and those serving Francophone markets," Mulroney said in a press release.
“By providing them with opportunities to implement impactful projects, we will help Francophone communities thrive and contribute to the overall prosperity of our province,” she continued.
The Tories caused an uproar of criticism after scrapping a proposed French-language university in Ontario. The Ford government then reversed course and said it was reconsidering the decision in September.
- Halton police search for missing Oakville teen
- Canadian military preparing to get involved in COVID-19 pandemic
- Close to 2,000 COVID-19 cases reported in Ontario, with more cases appearing in Oakville
- Man dead after driving stolen vehicle into Milton pond: Halton Police
- Burlington Sound of Music Festival 2020 cancelled due to COVID-19 outbreak
- Could the First French Language University in Ontario be in Halton?
- Could a New University Be Coming to Ontario?
- Province to Invest in Community, Culture and Recreational Projects in Halton
- Ontario Announces Funding For More Cultural Events in Halton
- Milton to provide funding to several community organizations