Province proposes legislation that would help deliver Ontario's four priority subway extensions
Minister of Transportation Caroline Mulroney introduced legislation that would help deliver Ontario's four priority subway projects fast and affordably.
The four subway projects are the new Ontario Line, the Yonge North Subway Extension, the three-stop Scarborough Subway Extension, and the Eglinton Crosstown West Extension.
"In order to keep up with the tremendous growth in the region, we have to build modern, efficient rapid transit," Mulroney said in a news release.
"It will not only generate years of employment, but it will also allow us to better connect a world-class city and develop transit-oriented communities," she continued.
The legislation, entitled The Building Transit Faster Act, would remove passed roadblocks and expedite the planning, design, and construction process by:
- Relocating utilities more efficiently while treating businesses fairly, and ensuring costs are not passed on to consumers;
- Ensuring the assembly of land required to construct stations, conduct tunneling and prepare sites, while treating property owners fairly;
- Ensuring timely access to municipal services and rights-of-way;
- Allowing Ontario to inspect and remove physical barriers with appropriate notification to property owners;
- Ensuring nearby developments or construction projects are coordinated so they do not delay the four priority subway projects.
"Not only will this proposed legislation get people riding the trains earlier, but it will ensure that the province is best positioned to attract new business and keep our best and brightest here in Ontario," Kinga Surma, Associate Minister of Transportation (GTA), said in the same release.
These four projects are part of the Provine's vision for transportation announced this past April, which is estimated to cost $28.5 billion.
- Legislation passed in Ontario to deliver subways faster
- Province beginning next phase of Ontario Line subway project
- Doug Ford Unveils New Subway Line
- Huge Changes Coming to Subway System and Speed Limit Enforcement in Ontario
- Ontario government proposes plan for growth, renewal and economic recovery