SCAM ALERT: Oakville Residents Warned of Fraudsters
It appears a new scam is fooling some folks in Oakville.
Here’s the deal.
Oakville Hydro is alerting residents of a text message scam where customers are asked to provide credit card information and click on a link within the text.
The text message claims to be from Oakville Hydro — but they’ll never send credit card alerts or requests via text message.
In the event that you receive a text:
- Don’t provide credit card information.
- Don’t click on the link within the text message.
- Don’t provide personal information, including your Oakville Hydro account number.
- Contact Oakville Hydro to report the incident Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or anytime at 905-825-9400 or hydro [at] oakvillehydro [dot] com
If you believe you’ve been a target or victim of fraud, report the incident by calling the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501.
Visit the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre for more information on how to protect yourself.
(Source: Oakville Hydro)
- Police Searching for Burlington Robbery Suspects
- WANTED: Canada-Wide Warrant Issued for Sex Offender
- 5 Hottest Restaurants in Oakville, Burlington and Milton – Oct. 7 - Oct. 13
- Absolutely Massive Lotto Ticket Worth Millions Sold in Oakville
- Ontario Liberals Name New Candidate for Oakville North-Burlington Riding