Sheridan College to temporarily close in wake of COVID-19 outbreak
Sheridan College, which operates campuses in Mississauga, Oakville and Brampton, just announced that it will be closing over March Break to better assess its response to the coronavirus outbreak.
In a statement, the college said it has been actively monitoring and responding to the COVID-19 pandemic since early January and has made decisions "based on the best guidance available from federal, provincial and municipal health authorities."
Sheridan says it will suspend classes (including continuing education) for a one-week period from March 16 to 20 to give administrators time to adjust the curriculum for “alternate modes of delivery.”
"Our goal is to contribute to social distancing efforts to limit transmission of the virus. All Sheridan events and gatherings will be cancelled until the end of the winter term," the statement says.
"Beginning on March 23, learning will resume in alternate formats, with the intent to have students finish the winter term on schedule."
Sheridan says that is not closing and that employees are expected to report for work, but that it will be implementing flexible work arrangements.
The college is asking anyone who is sick to stay home.
The college says its campuses, buildings, residences and libraries will continue to remain open with security on-site, while Athletics & Recreation will close as of tonight.
"We appreciate that this decision will pose a challenge for many. Sheridan is taking this extraordinary measure in an abundance of caution. The health and wellbeing of our community is always our top priority," the college said.
- Burlington mayor and councillor propose mandatory mask bylaw
- Police searching for missing 17-year-old from Oakville
- House of the Week: 6 beds and 6 baths in South Oakville
- Oakville man arrested after assault against 18 year old female in Burlington
- Young Oakville man dead following incident at Balls Falls in Lincoln
- Sheridan College and Other School Programs Closing Due to Snow
- Huge Changes Coming to Sheridan College in Oakville
- Sheridan College offering virtual workshop to prepare students for remote learning
- Sheridan College Recently Ranked Number One on an Exciting List
- College with Oakville campus optimistic that classes will resume in the fall