SIU Clears Halton Police Officer in Burlington Death
Charges aren’t being laid against a Halton police officer after a woman fell to her death in Burlington.
” … I am satisfied on reasonable grounds that the actions exercised by the [subject officer], and all of the police officers who attended to attempt to prevent the suicide of the complainant, fell within the limits prescribed by the criminal law and there are no grounds for proceeding with charges in this case,” said the SIU’s director Tony Loparco.
The incident unfolded on March 6, 2017 around 3:35 p.m.
That’s when 911 calls came in from two drivers about a female standing on the overpass bridge along Hwy. 407 at Dundas St.
When officers arrived, the 20-year-old woman saw them and she jumped within a matter of minutes.
She was taken to the hospital where she was pronounced dead at 4:30 p.m.
A post-mortem examination was conducted the next day.
The immediate cause of death was given as blunt force injuries due to a fall from a height, the report reads.
SIU investigators used video from a GO Transit bus, plus dash cam footage from a company vehicle nearby.
“On the evidence, it is clear that nothing that the [subject officer] said or did provoked the complainant to jump to her death,” wrote Loparco in his decision, adding “on the contrary, it appears from all of the evidence that the complainant was intent on ending her life and no amount of police intervention was going to change her mind.”
Investigators also found “that as soon as the police officers began to make active efforts to try and get the complainant away from the dangerous edge of the overpass, the complainant decided she needed to immediately jump to her death before anyone could prevent her doing so,” Loparco said.
- Halton Police Searching For Missing Three-Year-Old Boy In Milton
- For All Canadian Breaking Bad Fans This is Disappointing
- Justin Trudeau Still Preferred Prime Minister After Blackface Photos
- Here's How Much You'll Pay with a First Time Home Buyer's Incentive in Halton
- 5 Rides That Used to Exist at Canada's Wonderland
- Halton Police Officer Cleared in Oakville SIU Investigation
- Halton Police Officer Cleared in Milton SIU Investigation
- Halton Police Officers Not Facing Charges Following Death of 22-Year-Old Man
- Halton Police Officer Cleared by SIU in Oakville Case
- Police Not Facing Charges After Death of Oakville Custodian