UPDATED: Suspect Charged in Oakville Hatchet Attack
A suspect is behind bars after a man was assaulted with a hatchet in Oakville.
The victim and accused are "casual acquaintances," said Halton police acting Sgt. Mike Tidball, adding the incident wasn't random.
The assault took place on June 7.
Officers were sent to a home near Margaret Dr. and Mary St. at 8:30 p.m. for a man with a head injury.
That's near Dorval Dr. and Rebecca St.
The victim, a 20-year-old Oakville man, was struck with a small hatchet, police allege.
Paramedics treated the victim before taking him to Hamilton General Hospital where he remains in stable condition.
Shawn Wright, 38, of Shelburne, Ont. -that’s north of Orangeville- is charged with aggravated assault.
Wright is being held pending a bail hearing.
There are no other suspects being sought.
Investigators are looking for witnesses.
Anyone who may have any additional information is asked to contact acting Sgt. Mike Tidball of the 2 District street crime unit at 905-825-4747 ext. 2274.
Tips can also be submitted to Crime Stoppers “See Something? Hear Something? Know Something? Contact Crime Stoppers” at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or through the web at www.haltoncrimestoppers.ca
- Police are searching for a missing 10-year-old girl from Oakville
- Streets closing for march against anti-Black racism in Burlington
- Thousands take to Burlington streets to march against racism
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: 401 completely closed in both directions due to collision in Milton
- Looming cold front will bring an end to scorching hot temperatures in Halton