Suspect With Ties to Oakville Charged For Allegedly Using Several Aliases to Demand Sexual Acts
A Hamilton man with ties to Oakville is being charged in an extortion investigation involving the alleged use of 11 fake online names and demands for sexual acts.
Toronto police began investigating on June 10 after the victim came forward.
Police say a woman met a man online last March who was using the name “Tim James,” and began sending nude photos at his request.
The man eventually began demanding a variety of sexual acts in front of her web camera.
“When the woman expressed her discomfort with the demands, the man threatened to share the previously obtained nude images with family and friends of the woman, so she complied,” say police.
The demands for sex acts became more extreme and the victim ended up contacting police.
Investigators executed search warrants at two homes - one in Oakville, the other in Hamilton - on July 21 and arrested the suspect later that day.
Brandin Basso, 25, is charged with extortion and publishing intimate images without consent.
Police allege Basso used a slew of aliases when speaking to the victim, and also used a computer-generated phone number (647-699-6831) to text her. The following is a list of known aliases for the accused:
1) Tim James
2) Smith Jones
3) Mike Jones
4) John_Turner 1029384756
Investigators are encouraging anyone with information to phone 416-808-1100 or CrimeStoppers anonymously at 416-222-8477.
Photo courtesy of Toronto Police
- You could be fined up to $100,000 in Burlington if you're not 6-feet apart
- Ontario reports 550 new COVID-19 cases, largest single-day increase so far
- Researchers working on a test to identify those who are immune to COVID-19
- Two men arrested in connection with hate-motivated incident in Burlington
- Ford says ‘patience has run thin’ with low numbers of COVID-19 tests in Ontario
- Arrest made after woman allegedly extorted for explicit photos: Halton Police
- Suspect Charged for Allegedly Filming Woman at Oakville Community Centre
- Police Searching for Suspect Following Alleged Sexual Assault Incident in Burlington
- Man charged after allegedly calling woman 200 times in one day: Halton Police
- Suspect Arrested Following Sexual Assault in Oakville