1 Inmate Dead and 5 in Hospital at Maplehurst Correctional Facility
Today, May 7, at approximately 5:50 pm the Halton Police and Halton EMS responded to the Maplehurst Correctional Facility in Milton for multiple inmates requiring medical attention for suspected drug overdoses.
Six male inmates have been transferred to the hospital for assessment. One inmate has been confirmed dead.
None of the 5 surviving inmates are currently in life-threatening condition. All inmates were located within the same cell block.
Detectives with the 1 District Criminal Investigation Bureau are continuing to investigate in along with the Coroner and Maplehurst staff.
Police cannot comment on what drugs were used or how they were acquired.
Police are asking anyone with information regarding this incident to contact Det. Sgt. Ellie Bale at 905-825-4747 ext. 2415 or the on-duty Staff Sergeant at 905-825-4747 ext. 2410.
Anonymous tips can be sent to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or online at: https://www.haltoncrimestoppers.ca/
- Ontario is giving drive-in movie theatres the clear to reopen
- Province introducing fixed electricity price to assist residents during COVID-19
- Canada-wide arrest warrant issued for 17 year old allegedly involved in fatal shooting
- Some landlords choosing to evict commercial tenants rather than apply for government aid
- One person airlifted to hospital after serious crash in Halton Hills
- Grand Valley inmates in lockdown over COVID infections, guards union says
- Milton Inmate Pens Thank-You Letter to Police After Suspected Opioid Overdose
- Intermittent inmates in Ontario to return home in response to COVID-19 pandemic
- Consider releasing some inmates to stem COVID-19 in prisons, minister requests
- Milton man charged in prison overdose death