The Province and the federal government are teaming up to provide more affordable housing to Ontarians
The federal and provincial governments have teamed up to provide financial support to Ontario residents in need of housing.
The joint investment of $1.4 billion will be the first under the Canada Housing Benefit.
"Through the National Housing Strategy, more middle-class Canadians--and people working hard to join this category--will find safe, accessible and affordable homes," Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development, said in a news release.
"The Canada Housing Benefit is a key pillar of the National Housing Strategy that will help families across Canada. Together, we will build strong communities where Canadians can prosper and thrive, now and for the future," he continued.
The Canada-Ontario Bilateral Agreement, which will be under the National Housing Strategy, will provide $5.75 billion to protect, renew and expand social and community housing, and support Ontario's priorities related to housing repair, construction, and affordability.
"Our government knows how important it is for the people of Ontario to have housing they can afford. We are working with the federal government to deliver on provincial priorities--including making housing more affordable," Steve Clark, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing, said in the same release.
The new Canada-Ontario Housing Benefit will give more options to people who are looking for housing that meets their needs and their budgets. The best results come from working together and that includes with all levels of government," he continued.
- Close to 500 new cases of COVID-19 found in Ontario, close to 300 total cases confirmed in Halton
- Justin Trudeau says we won’t return to complete normalcy until a vaccine is produced
- You could be fined up to $100,000 in Burlington if you're not 6-feet apart
- ‘Dynamic’ physical distancing could help balance COVID-19 fight, economy: study
- Federal models suggest that between 11,000 and 22,000 Canadians could die of COVID-19 over coming months
- Federal Government Announces Partnership To Create More Affordable Housing
- Here’s How the Federal Government is Addressing Affordable Housing in Milton
- Feds Unveil National Housing Strategy
- Ontario Government to Invest in Supportive Housing in Milton
- More Affordable Housing Coming to Halton and Beyond