Third person dies of COVID-19 in Ontario
TORONTO -- A third person has died in Ontario because of COVID-19.
The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit confirmed the death of a man in his 70s today.
The man had been in close contact with another man who was the province's first COVID-19 related death on March 11.
The news came as Ontario Premier Doug Ford appealed to the province's manufacturing sector to help produce key medical supplies.
Ford says there are shortages of many items needed by health care workers because of global demand created by the COVID-19.
The premier says any company that can produce items like ventilators, face masks, surgical gowns, protective eye-wear and hand sanitizers should reach out to the government.
Ontario is reporting 59 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total in the province to 377, with that total including six resolved cases and two deaths.
The Canadian Press
- Anyone caught violating the EMCPA will be fined between $750 and $1,000
- G2 driver clocked going 206 km/h in Oakville
- Canadian military preparing to get involved in COVID-19 pandemic
- Halton police search for missing Oakville teen
- Burlington Sound of Music Festival 2020 cancelled due to COVID-19 outbreak
- Ontario reports 50 new COVID-19 cases; provincial total at 308, including 2 dead
- COVID-19: 151 new cases in Ontario as premier looks to limit gatherings to 5 people or less
- Ontario reports over 500 COVID-19 cases in the province, with 2 new cases confirmed in Halton
- Ontario reporting 149 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, one new case in Halton
- LATEST: Ontario reports 211 new cases of COVID-19 and two additional deaths