Top 10 Travel Destinations Solely Based on Food
It's clear to us at inhalton.com that Haltonites love their food, so it's only fitting that we let you know what the most travel-worthy destinations in the world are right now for their cuisine.
OpenTable, a leading provider of online restaurant reservations, has released the results of their "Will Fly for Food" survey, asking Canadians whether they would take a leisure trip solely because of the destination’s culinary scene.
As it turns out, 84 percent of Canadian diners would pick a leisure travel or trip destination based on its culinary scene, while 54 percent of diners said they have previously planned a leisure trip solely because of the destination’s culinary scene.
Sixty-two per cent of those surveyed have also travelled to the country of origin of their favourite food.
In terms of where to dine during leisure travel, most Canadians look for restaurants serving authentic, local flavours (80 percent), with 42 percent saying they seek out establishments where mostly locals are dining.
Looks like Canadians want a truly authentic dining experience!
“Destinations with rich food culture and a global reputation for dining are at the top of the list for Canadians when considering travel destinations,” said Ziv Schierau, Head of National Accounts for OpenTable Canada. “Additionally, Canadians love the local experience when travelling and aren’t afraid to venture away from the tourist trail when scoping out the perfect place to dine.”
Here are the top ten destinations Canadians would travel to solely for the food:
New York City, U.S.
The list is quite Europe-focused. If you look closely, our not-so-far (okay, a little far) neighbours Montreal and New York City made the list as well.
Those might be the top ten cities, but here are the restaurants and dishes within some of those cities that are must-tries, according to OpenTable:
Florence - Tagliatelle al sugo at Trattoria Sabatino
Paris - Steak frites at Le Relais de l’Entrecote
Tokyo - Kobo rainbow sushi at Itamae Sushi Edo
New York City - Porterhouse steak at Keens Steakhouse
Bangkok - Coconut and turmeric curry of blue swimmer crab at Nahm
Madrid - Jamon joselito at TATEL Madrid
Montreal - Disco poutine at Deville Dinerbar
London - Sunday roast at Roast
London - Meat fruit at Dinner by Heston Blumenthal
London - Afternoon tea at Fortnum & Mason Diamond Jubilee Tea Salon
Where would you fly for your favourite food?
- Burlington Declares a Climate Emergency
- Two Suspects Sought Following Cheese Wheel Theft at Fortinos in Burlington
- 18 Restaurants That Will Give You Free Food On Your Birthday Near Halton
- PHOTOS: Driving Caught Travelling at High Speed on Rural Road in Halton
- Police Investigating Alleged Assault at Walmart in Milton
- Canadians Being Warned of Travel During Hurricane Season
- These are the Most Affordable Travel Destinations for 2019
- Federal Government Warning Women Not to Travel to these Vacation Destinations
- Top Places to Discover Food Across the Globe
- Here's How You Can Travel for Cheap Across Canada This Summer