VIDEO: Multiple People Charged in Connection with Dangerous Motorcycle Stunts
Over the past year, police have responded to multiple calls regarding large groups of motorcyclists purposely snarling traffic to engage in elaborate stunt driving on busy highways in the Greater Toronto Area.
Now, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) have revealed that 48 charges have been laid following an investigation into other similar incidents.
“Thirty-three motorcyclists have died on OPP patrolled roads in 2017,” said OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt in a video. “Just this past week, the OPP laid 48 charges following a three month investigation into dangerous motorcyclists who were performing stunts and riding erratically in the GTA.”
Schmidt said 10 people are facing a total of 35 criminal code charges. The offenses the accused have been charged with include dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, conspiracy to commit an indictable offense of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, mischief, flight while pursued by a peace officer and more.
Schmidt added that five motorcycles were seized as offense-related property and that an additional six charges were laid in relation to illegal drug offenses.
“In total, these 10 people and others face a total of seven charges relating to highway traffic offenses, including driving while suspended, obscured/missing license plates and more,” he added. “Seven of the 10 accused have made their first appearances in court while three others are outstanding with warrants.”
Schmidt said that, on 20 occasions over the summer, police interrupted dangerous riding activity on busy provincial highways, including the Gardiner and the DVP.
“Dozens of riders on bikes [were] participating in numerous coordinated stunts that purposely snarled traffic and put the lives of participants and safety of other road users and pedestrians in jeopardy,” he said.
An investigation into the incidents is still ongoing.
Here’s some more footage of the stunt riding, courtesy of the OPP.
- Here’s How Much You Need to Make an Hour to Afford an Apartment in Halton
- This Famous Building Has Been Designated as a Heritage Site in Oakville
- House of the Week: $1.2 Mil Milton Home With Exquisite Kitchen
- Road Closure Due To Serious Collision In Burlington
- Incredibly Rare Event Happening in Skies Above Halton
- Car Crash Fatalities on the Rise on Ontario Highways
- Milton Man Charged with Dangerous Driving, Fleeing from Police
- Man Facing Charges After Being Stopped on Highway in Burlington
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Motorcyclists Take Over All GTA Highways
- Two Men Facing 147 Criminal Charges Following Break-ins in the GTA