WATCH: Stunt drivers and street racers 'hijack' roads and parking lots; Oakville man charged
An Oakville man and several others are facing criminal charges after Ontario Provincial Police say street racers and stunt drivers “hijacked” roads and parking lots in the Greater Toronto Area Friday night (May 30).
Police say the group, which included motor vehicle and tow truck drivers, initially failed in a parking lot “drifting exhibition” before relocating. Drifting occurs when the driver intentionally oversteers, with loss of traction, while maintaining control of the vehicle.
#StreetRacers and #StuntDrivers in #GTA hijacked parking lots and roads Friday night.— OPP Highway Safety Division (@OPP_HSD) June 2, 2020
After allegedly failing in a drifting exhibition in a parking lot, two cars were relocated with the cooperation of tow trucks and the driver and owner reported a fraudulent collision on Hwy 404 pic.twitter.com/USjPONgKUm
According to police, drivers of the vehicles involved reported fake collisions on Hwy 404—possibly in an attempt to distract officers.
The following individuals are facing charges for police obstruction and public mischief:
- Noah Ferrusi, 19, Oakville
- Jason Montes, 23, Etobicoke
- Stephen Marki, 28, Richmond Hill (tow truck)
- Mohammadreza Teherina, 23, North York (tow truck)
There were other drivers involved and police say their charges include speeding up to 220 km/h, failing to stop for police, and driving without insurance.
OPP Highway Safety Division (@OPP_HSD) June 2, 2020
- Trio of Burlington residents celebrating Lotto wins
- Police searching for suspect wanted in connection to shooting in Burlington
- Watershed outlook and weather warning in effect for funnel clouds expected in Halton
- Man arrested for hate-motivated assault in Oakville
- Oakville man charged with aggravated assault after spitting in officer's face
- Here's How Many Charges OPP Laid Against Truck Drivers in One Week
- Nearly 2,000 Transport Truck Drivers Charged in OPP Traffic Safety Blitz
- Police Cracking Down on Transport Truck Drivers
- Two Drivers Charged for Going Ridiculous Speed in Oakville
- Driver charged in Oakville as police crack down on stunt driving during COVID-19