Would You Eat Alone at a Restaurant?
Table for one, please … reservations for parties of one have grown nationally by 85 per cent since 2015, according to new figures from OpenTable as it unveiled the Top 25 Restaurants for Solo Dining in Canada.
Findings released on Nov. 7 indicate the stigma surrounding dining solo may be starting to lift and that consumers are eager to savour special culinary experiences alone.
Data shows the majority of solo dining reservations are booked for dinner (43 per cent) followed by lunch (30 per cent).
Canadian solo diners also book the majority of their tables Monday to Friday (78 per cent), saving the weekends for dining with others.
“This increase in the number of reservations made for one illustrates shifting attitudes in Canadian dining culture,” said OpenTable Canada’s head of national accounts Ziv Schierau.
“Instead of opting for takeout or room service, Canadians are embracing solo dining and the opportunity to unwind and enjoy a unique meal at their own pace.”
In celebration of solo diners and the restaurants that welcome them, OpenTable is revealing the Top 25 Restaurants for Solo Dining in Canada in alphabetical order:
2017 Top 25 Restaurants for Solo Dining in Canada
529 Wellington - Winnipeg, Manitoba
The Bison Restaurant - Banff, Alberta
Bonaparte - Montreal, Quebec
BOSK at Shangri-La Hotel - Toronto, Ontario
Bow Valley Grill - Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel - Banff, Alberta
Bruce Wine Bar - Thornbury, Ontario
Byblos - Toronto, Ontario
Damas - Montreal, Quebec
Earth to Table: Bread Bar - Guelph, Ontario
Gyoza Bar - Vancouver, British Columbia
Jacobs & Co. Steakhouse - Toronto, Ontario
LaVinia - Toronto, Ontario
Le Filet - Montreal, Quebec
Library Bar - Fairmont Royal York - Toronto, Ontario
The Marc - Edmonton, Alberta
The Merchant Tavern - St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador
Mettawas Station Mediterranean - Kingsville, Ontario
Miijidaa Cafe + Bistro - Guelph, Ontario
Miku Restaurant - Toronto - Toronto, Ontario
Miku Restaurant - Vancouver - Vancouver, British Columbia
ONE Restaurant - Toronto, Ontario
Restaurant Le Continental - Quebec City, Quebec
Richmond Station - Toronto, Ontario
Scaramouche Pasta Bar - Toronto, Ontario
Trattoria Gusto - Port Hope, Ontario
The list was generated based on the restaurants most booked for tables of one and the “overall” star-ratings associated with reviews submitted by verified diners.
What’s your favourite local spot to dine solo?
- Three Vehicles Involved in Collision in Milton
- Man Arrested in Oakville for Carjacking, Kidnapping 96 Year Old Woman
- Oakville House of the Week: Chic and Rustic $2 Mil Bronte East Home
- Popular Cafe Opens Inside Oakville Grocery Store
- House of the Week: $2.8 Mil Burlington Home That Overlooks the Water
- Oakville, Burlington Among Canada's 100 Best Restaurants for Outdoor Dining
- Oakville Favourite Named Among Canada’s Top 100 Restaurants
- Burlington Among Canada’s 100 Best Brunch Restaurants for Mother's Day
- Oakville and Burlington Make Canada’s 100 Most Romantic Restaurants List
- Well-Known Oakville Restos Named Among Canada’s Top 100 Italian Restaurants