Would You Eat Alone at a Restaurant?
Table for one, please … reservations for parties of one have grown nationally by 85 per cent since 2015, according to new figures from OpenTable as it unveiled the Top 25 Restaurants for Solo Dining in Canada.
Findings released on Nov. 7 indicate the stigma surrounding dining solo may be starting to lift and that consumers are eager to savour special culinary experiences alone.
Data shows the majority of solo dining reservations are booked for dinner (43 per cent) followed by lunch (30 per cent).
Canadian solo diners also book the majority of their tables Monday to Friday (78 per cent), saving the weekends for dining with others.
“This increase in the number of reservations made for one illustrates shifting attitudes in Canadian dining culture,” said OpenTable Canada’s head of national accounts Ziv Schierau.
“Instead of opting for takeout or room service, Canadians are embracing solo dining and the opportunity to unwind and enjoy a unique meal at their own pace.”
In celebration of solo diners and the restaurants that welcome them, OpenTable is revealing the Top 25 Restaurants for Solo Dining in Canada in alphabetical order:
2017 Top 25 Restaurants for Solo Dining in Canada
529 Wellington - Winnipeg, Manitoba
The Bison Restaurant - Banff, Alberta
Bonaparte - Montreal, Quebec
BOSK at Shangri-La Hotel - Toronto, Ontario
Bow Valley Grill - Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel - Banff, Alberta
Bruce Wine Bar - Thornbury, Ontario
Byblos - Toronto, Ontario
Damas - Montreal, Quebec
Earth to Table: Bread Bar - Guelph, Ontario
Gyoza Bar - Vancouver, British Columbia
Jacobs & Co. Steakhouse - Toronto, Ontario
LaVinia - Toronto, Ontario
Le Filet - Montreal, Quebec
Library Bar - Fairmont Royal York - Toronto, Ontario
The Marc - Edmonton, Alberta
The Merchant Tavern - St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador
Mettawas Station Mediterranean - Kingsville, Ontario
Miijidaa Cafe + Bistro - Guelph, Ontario
Miku Restaurant - Toronto - Toronto, Ontario
Miku Restaurant - Vancouver - Vancouver, British Columbia
ONE Restaurant - Toronto, Ontario
Restaurant Le Continental - Quebec City, Quebec
Richmond Station - Toronto, Ontario
Scaramouche Pasta Bar - Toronto, Ontario
Trattoria Gusto - Port Hope, Ontario
The list was generated based on the restaurants most booked for tables of one and the “overall” star-ratings associated with reviews submitted by verified diners.
What’s your favourite local spot to dine solo?
- Huge Fine for Contractor Working in Oakville and Burlington
- Some College Students Can Get Money Back Since Strike Has Ended
- Here's How You Can Get a Free Coffee Over the Holidays in Halton
- Oakville Council Set To Debate Glen Abbey Heritage Protection
- Oakville Moves Forward With Heritage Plans for Glen Abbey
- Well-Known Oakville Restos Named Among Canada’s Top 100 Italian Restaurants
- Top 10 Travel Destinations Solely Based on Food
- VIA Rail Adds More Trips Between Toronto and Ottawa
- Air Canada Flight Returns to Toronto After Assault on Plane
- Toronto Star Tries to Shut Down Local Media Company with Bullying Tactics