Brand New School Coming to Oakville
A new elementary school in Oakville is on tap, the province has announced.
The 527-student Catholic elementary school will be located at the existing St. Joseph site at 477 Warminster Dr.
“Construction is expected to occur during the 2017-18 school year and is expected to open for the 2018-19 school year,” said Ministry of Education spokeswoman Heather Irwin.
The project comes with a $5.27 million price tag.
Oakville MPP Kevin Flynn calls it “an important investment” for the town.
“This new school will be a terrific addition to our vibrant community,” said Flynn.
Education Minister Mitzie Hunter was joined by Flynn and Halton MPP Indira Naidoo-Harris at St. Joseph to make the announcement on June 19.
The school will house students from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8 in a brand-new building “that will support student learning, help reduce the cost of under-utilized space and focus on opportunities for better programming for students,” according to the province.
The ministry is doling out $8.9 million to support two projects for the Halton Catholic District School Board — roughly $3.67 million is covering a renovation at St. Mark Catholic Elementary School in Burlington.
It will include a permanent six-classroom addition and the construction of a three-room child care centre and a one-room child and family program.
The project is expected to be ready for the 2018-19 school year.
BY THE NUMBERS
Since 2011, the Halton District School Board and Halton Catholic District School Board have received capital funding totalling $481 million, which supports the construction of 20 projects, including 15 new schools. Here’s the breakdown:
- Halton District School Board = $321 million (14 projects, including nine new schools).
- Halton Catholic District School Board = $160 million (6 projects, including six new school).
(Source: Ministry of Education)
- A New Waterfront Restaurant with a Patio is Coming to Oakville
- UPDATE: Fatality Following Person Struck by Train in Oakville
- Multi-Vehicle Collision Blocking Lanes On Highway 403 In Burlington
- How to Protect Yourself From a Coyote in Halton
- PHOTOS: Police Investigating One-Vehicle Accident In Milton
- A Big Change is Coming to the Halton Catholic District School Board
- Construction of New Halton Schools Causing Concerns Amongst School Board Trustees
- Construction Has Started for This New Oakville School Building
- A New Elementary School is Coming to the Town of Oakville
- Halton District School Board Trustees Standing Up for Education