Burlington and Oakville Make Interesting Amazon List
We’ve got diamonds for days, pools bigger than houses in nearby cities, and bookworms — there’s apparently a love affair with reading in Burlington and Oakville.
Both the city and town made the cut as Amazon.ca released its sixth annual list of Top 20 Canadian Cities that Love to Read: Oakville placed eighth, with Burlington coming in 13th overall.
The list, which came out on June 18, was compiled using data from Amazon.ca for print and Kindle e-book editions from May 2017 to May 2018 on a per capita basis in cities with more than 100,000 residents.
Kingston, Ont. topped the list., (unseating Saskatoon from 2017) followed by Waterloo, Ont.; Vancouver, and Kelowna, B.C.
Langely, B.C. rounded out the top five.
A closer look at the data revealed:
Student Bodies Love to Read: The top two cities are home to some of Ontario’s leading post-secondary institutions, which is clearly reflected in the data. Kingston led the way in the fiction literature, textbooks, history, medical and law categories, while Waterloo residents purchased the most science and math, computers and technology, and technical professional books.
Keeping it Cool in the Kitchen: For the second year in a row, Vancouver and Cambridge took the cake as the top cities that purchased the most cookbooks.
Staying True to Nature: Vancouverites lead in categories pertaining to health and fitness, social sciences, self-help, travel and arts and photography.
Love Runs Deep in Southern Ontario: When it comes to romance novels, no one is quite as passionate as Kingston, Oshawa and Barrie, remaining in the top three spots for a second year.
Filling up the Bookshelf: Even though Vancouver has dropped to number three in the overall rankings, they have taken the top spot as the city that purchases the most physical books, proving that they are loyal to hardcovers and paperbacks.
Here’s the complete list:
1. Kingston, Ontario
2. Waterloo, Ontario (new in 2018)
3. Vancouver, British Columbia
- Here's the Latest With Burlington's $52M Waterfront Park
- People Furious After Cars Towed Away in Oakville
- Oakville Ranked One of Canada's Most Expensive Areas to Buy a Home
- Guess Which Popular TV Show Spinoff Was Filmed in Halton Region?
- Oakville and Burlington Among the Worst Places to Take Your Driving Test in Ontario
- Oakville and Burlington Make Interesting Amazon List
- Oakville and Burlington Make Canada’s 100 Most Romantic Restaurants List
- Burlington Company Makes Important List of Canada's Best Employers
- Here’s Where Halton Ranks on the List of Canada’s Most Dangerous Cities
- Halton Ranked Among Canada's Hottest Cities for Millennials