Construction of New Halton Schools Causing Concerns Amongst School Board Trustees
The construction of two new schools in the Halton Region is causing concerns amongst some school board trustees.
At a recent board meeting, Halton District School Board (HDSB) trustees expressed their concerns regarding construction delays that may have an impact on new school building projects.
According to a recent press release, these concerns are a result of construction delays that will impact the opening of the new Milton SW #1 high school and the new Oakville NE #2 elementary school.
“As one of the few growing school boards in Ontario, trustees are keenly aware of the need to plan for this growth and build new schools in areas where enrolment pressures are highest,” Andrea Grebenc, Chair of the Halton District School Board, said in a recent press release.
Both schools in question have been on the HDSB capital priorities list since 2015.
The Ministry of Education approved the funding for the new Milton high school in November of 2016. Funding for the new Oakville elementary school was approved in January 2018. These funding approvals were followed by property acquisition and site plan approvals.
However, additional Ministry of Education approvals are pending causing the original opening dates of both schools to be delayed.
“As trustees we want to ensure parents and the community are fully aware that this delay means more portables, busing students out of their neighbourhoods, and as well as the possibility of having siblings from the same family attend different schools,” Grebenc said in a recent press release.
“The funding provided to the Board for land purchase, design, tendering and construction for these two schools does not reflect the current market.”
Unanimously, trustees supported a recommendation to inform the Halton community regarding the status of these new school builds in addition to other unrelated renovation projects.
Due to the upcoming Kindergarten registration timelines, parents and guardians of students that will be impacted by these delays in Oakville will receive a letter.
- Oakville-Based Children’s Health Facility Gives Layoff Notices to Close to 300 Employees
- Police Searching For Missing Man Last Seen in Oakville
- UPDATE: Police Release New Photos of Suspect Following Hate Crimes in Burlington
- UPDATE: Police Searching For Two Suspects Following Distraction Theft Incident in Burlington
- Toronto Universities Evacuated Following Bomb Threats
- Halton District School Board Trustees Reject Proposed Education Changes
- Halton District School Board Trustees Standing Up for Education
- Halton School Board Receives Significantly Less Funding Than Other Boards
- Here’s Exactly Where the New Oakville Elementary School Will be Located
- Construction Has Started for This New Oakville School Building