Free Transit Will Soon be Available to Some Residents in Burlington
The city of Burlington recently announced some exciting news for those who use the city’s transit system. Free transit will soon be available to some residents.
According to the city, as of June 3, 2019, seniors, those who are 65 and older, will be able to use Burlington Transit for free on weekdays between 9 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
This pilot program, which will run for 18 months, was approved by Burlington city council as part of the 2019 city budget.
The program, as mentioned, will run from June 3, 2019 until Dec. 31 2020, and seniors can participate by loading a Free65 pass onto a PRESTO card at one of 16 PRESTO service locations in the city.
A few locations are as followed:
- Downtown Burlington Transit bus terminal at 430 John St.
- All Shoppers Drug Mart locations in Burlington
- Aldershot GO Station at 1199 Waterdown Rd.
- Appleby GO Station at 5111 Fairview St.
- Burlington GO Station at 2101 Fairview St.
“PRESTO cards can be purchased for $6 at any of the PRESTO service locations,” reads a press release from the city. “There is no fee to load the Free65 pass. Seniors who already have a PRESTO card can choose to load the Free65 pass onto their existing card at one of the PRESTO service locations or online at www.prestocard.ca.”
This pilot program, according to Sue Connor, Director, Burlington Transit, is a good way for seniors in the city to get to know the transit system.
“With the introduction of this pilot program, we hope that seniors who do not currently consider Burlington Transit for their travels around the city will see how easy it is,” Connor said in a statement. “Whether they are visiting family and friends or looking to shop for groceries and attend appointments, Burlington Transit can get them there with just the tap of a PRESTO card.”
The Free65 passes will be available for loading as of May 21, 2019, and these passes can also be used for the specialized transit service (Handi-Van).
And if that wasn’t enough to get you excited, then the city has even more exciting news.
Burlington Transit will be giving away free PRESTOcards to the first 1,000 customers who acquire a Free65 pass.
The free PRESTO cards will be available at Learn2Ride sessions, or at the downtown Burlington Transit bus terminal at 430 John St., starting May 21, 2019.
For more information, click here.
Photos are courtesy of the city of Burlington.
- Cineplex CEO Stands By Decision To Screen Pro-Life Film 'Unplanned'
- This Pub is Now Open in Burlington
- Metrolinx Working to Improve the Commute for Some Halton Residents
- House of the Week: $1 Mil Milton Home with Gorgeous Salt Water Pool
- Suspect Arrested After Packages Stolen from Front Doors of Burlington Residences