Halton police youth program looking for students in Burlington, Oakville, Milton
Are you a high school student in Oakville, Burlington, Milton or Halton Hills looking for a fun, engaging, and meaningful summer employment opportunity?
The Halton Regional Police Service is now accepting applications for the 2023 Summer Youth in Policing Initiative (YIPI) program.
The program, offered in partnership with the Ministry of Children and Youth Services, is part of the Halton police’s ongoing strategy to address the growing needs of our youth.
The goal of YIPI is to give eight young people an opportunity to develop job skills while enhancing police and community relations.
YIPI is an eight-week summer employment opportunity for youth between the ages of 15 and 17. Participants must be attending a secondary school program and reside in Halton Region. This year’s program will run from July 3 to Aug. 25, and will provide students with approximately 35 working hours per week.
Over the course of the program, youth will interact with, and learn about, the many aspects of policing, have the opportunity to serve their community, and enhance their leadership and teamwork skills.
Ultimately, it’s hoped the participating students will learn valuable life and employment skills that will benefit them for many years to come.
The mandate of the program is to:
- Promote youth participation in the work environment through diverse, educational, and productive work assignments
- Enhance the relationship between the police and the youth we serve
- Provide positive employment opportunities for youth
- Promote the Halton Regional Police Service as an employer of choice
In order to be considered for the YIPI Program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a resident of Halton Region between the ages 15-17
- No criminal charges pending before the court
- Be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident legally eligible to work in Canada
- Successfully complete the recruitment/background check process
- Agree to a mentoring relationship with our fellow officers and/or civilian members
- Be returning to a Halton-based high school in September
- Available to attend the entire full eight-week program
For more information, about the YIPI Program, contact Sgt. Ric Judson at [email protected]. For application questions, contact [email protected]
For more information or to register, visit the police website.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising