Here's How Halton is Guarding Residents from West Nile Virus


Annual larviciding is once again underway to reduce the risk of West Nile virus (WNV) in Oakville, Burlington, Milton, and Halton Hills.

Larviciding is just one part of our comprehensive West Nile virus program, which includes public education, monitoring and surveillance,” said Halton Region’s Medical Officer of Health Dr. Hamidah Meghani.

By working together with the community, we will continue to reduce the risk of West Nile virus and keep our community safe and healthy.”

Larviciding is the process of applying pesticides to areas with standing water, such as catch basins and storm water ponds, where mosquito larvae are commonly found.

This preventative program runs from June to August in an attempt to reduce the adult mosquito population and helping to stop the mosquitoes that can carry West Nile virus.

The pesticide kills mosquito larvae, helping to reduce the mosquito population that could carry West Nile virus. It’s applied when other attempts at reducing mosquito breeding sites haven’t worked.

Halton residents can help reduce breeding grounds for mosquitoes by regularly emptying water from bird baths, plant pots, toys and tires.

Residents are encouraged to take the following steps to protect themselves and their families from mosquitoes:

  • Cover up. Wear light-coloured, long-sleeved shirts and pants with tightly-woven fabric.
  • Avoid being outdoors from early evening to morning when mosquitoes are most active and likely to bite, as well as at any time in shady, wooded areas.
  • Reduce mosquito breeding sites around your home by getting rid of all water-filled containers and objects. Change the water in bird baths at least once per week.
  • Use an approved insect repellent, such as one containing DEET or Icaridin.
  • Ensure your window and door screens are tight and do not have holes, cuts or other openings.

You can also view a map showing the locations of standing water sites on public property where larvicide is applied.

Standing water on public property can be reported to Halton Region by emailing accesshalton [at] halton [dot] caor phoning 311.

Screenshot via

Your Comments