Here’s Why the Milton Public Library Was Recently Recognized
Libraries play a big role in the everyday lives of many people. They are a place where people can learn, study, and grow. However, it’s safe to say that libraries are no longer just a place where people can check out books.
There are many incredible libraries all over the world, but recently the Milton Public Library was recognized amongst many across North America.
According to a recent press release, Mark Williams, Chief Librarian and the Milton Public Library were awarded the 2019 John Iliff Award for Innovation for the development and success of the Quest Milton app.
This award was presented by the American Public Library Association on March 15.
The John Iliff Award is presented to a librarian worker, or library, that has used technology and innovative thinking to advance library services.
The award, according to the release, is granted annually to one public library across North America. The Milton Public Library receiving this award marks the second time in history a Canadian library has received it - the Edmonton Public Library received this award in 2014.
“The committee was impressed with not just the app itself but what you were able to do in bringing together a wide array of partners and creating something that is fun and also helps people get to know the community and library better,” a John Iliff Award Jury Chair said in the release. “The app would be impressive coming from a library of any size and knowing that you pulled it together with a smaller budget and resources makes it all the better.”
The Quest Milton app launched in February of last year and is the first of its kind for a Canadian Public Library.
The development of the app was funded through a provincial grant from the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport. The app uses gaming technologies to engage new users in connecting with the Milton Public Library and its partners.
Receiving this award is not only something the Milton Public Library is proud of but also highlights the libraries dedication to technology.
“To say we are delighted with the announcement that we are the recipients of this year’s John Ilff award for innovation would be an understatement, particularly as only one public library, per year, is selected as the recipient,” Williams said in the release. “Our selection by the Public Library arm of the American Library Association re-affirms Milton Public Library’s commitment to the provision of customer service excellence, in this instance applying the best uses of technology. We really are thrilled.”
- Significant snow in the forecast for Halton
- 3 suspects wanted after attempted robbery and shooting in Milton: Halton Police
- Burlington mayor issues statement after concerns raised around Millcroft Golf Course
- What are the key issues in the Ontario teachers’ disputes with the province?
- Halton man wins Lotto Max Encore after buying ticket in Burlington
- Here’s Why the Milton Public Library Was Recognized Recently
- Here’s Why the Burlington Public Library Was Recognized Recently
- Here’s When the Newest Branch of the Milton Public Library is Opening
- Here’s How You Can Plant Your Own Garden Courtesy of the Oakville Public Library
- Big Changes are Coming to the Burlington Public Library