Here’s Why This 14-Year-Old Was Recently Recognized by the Milton Fire Department
It can be hard to react quickly in a stressful or harmful situation. Luckily, this was not the case for 14-year-old Julia Tatem.
In fact, Tatem was recently recognized by the Milton Fire Department for her quick thinking following a fire that recently occurred at her family's home.
After smelling something burning,Tatem investigated and discovered that a chair near the fireplace was actively smoldering.
She then quickly went upstairs to find her sister and family dog. According to the Town of Milton's Facebook page, they were able to exit the house and call 911 just as the smoke alarms were activated.
Although Tatem, her sister, and dog were able to exit, in the short time it took the Fire Department to arrive the house was completely destroyed by the fire.
On Friday, March 8, 2019 the Milton Fire Department presented Tatem with the Fire Chief's Commendation Award for her bravery.
“Julia did an amazing job responding to this very difficult situation. Her quick action[s] ultimately saved three lives that day,” Steve Ellis, Captain, Fire Prevention, said in a statement on the Town of Milton's Facebook page. “The Milton Fire Department is proud to recognize her for demonstrating fire safety knowledge and for taking courageous action.”
Photo is courtesy of the Town of Milton's Facebook page.
- ARMED KIDNAPPING: Police Searching for Male Kidnapped by Three Masked Men
- Four Youths Arrested After Armed Robbery at Burlington Convenience Store
- Shoppers Drug Mart Launches Interesting New Online Program in Halton
- Police Release List of Complaints Made to 911 Regarding Amber Alert for Murdered 11 Year Old Girl
- UPDATE: Motorcyclist Dead After Colliding with Truck in Milton
- Bringing Back History to Milton's Fire Department
- ROAD CLOSURE: Fire Department on Scene of House Fire in Halton Hills
- Burlington Fire Department Responds to Car Fire at Police Station
- Here's What's Happening With Milton's Fire Department Station 1
- Oakville Fire Department on Scene Following Apartment Fire