Looking to get rid of an old or illegal weapon or firearm? Halton police offers amnesty


Published May 25, 2023 at 10:06 am

If you’ve got an old weapon or firearm laying around and you just want to get rid of it, an amnesty for residents of Oakville, Burlington, Milton and Halton Hills is coming up.

The Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS) will commence its next Firearms and Weapons Amnesty on Thursday, June 1.

The amnesty provides individuals and businesses residing or operating in the Region of Halton with an opportunity to surrender unwanted or illegally-owned firearms, weapons and/or ammunition to the HRPS without the worry of being charged for having them.

“This Amnesty enables everyone to play a role in helping make our community safer,” said Supt. Al Albano.

“By removing unwanted or unregistered firearms and weapons from locations such as homes and businesses, the chance of them falling into the hands of criminals and being used in violent crimes is eliminated.”

In addition to traditional firearms, any weapon that may pose a threat to public safety can also be surrendered under this amnesty, including:

Imitation firearms and air guns

  • Switchblades
  • Butterfly knives
  • Pepper spray
  • Nunchakus (nunchucks)
  • Shurikens (throwing stars)
  • Push daggers
  • Knife combs
  • Crossbows
  • Spiked wristbands
  • Batons
  • Blowguns

In order to participate in the program, residents will have to schedule a pickup by making an appointment online.

Police strongly remind people to not bring any weapons or firearms to a police station. Do not transport firearms or weapons in your vehicle. Do not greet officers at your door with your firearms/weapons.

Officers assigned to retrieve the weapon(s) will provide police identification and will require a signature for destruction.

A member of the Halton Regional Police Service will contact you by telephone to confirm a time and date to retrieve your surrendered item(s).

A plain-clothed officer will attend the pick-up location in an unmarked vehicle at the scheduled date/time.

Legally-owned/registered firearms can only be surrendered by the registered owner or authorized party (i.e. executor or power of attorney).

For more information or to book an appointment, visit the police website.

INhalton's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising