Major Weather Warning in Effect for Halton Region
Freezing rain warning in effect for:
- Halton Hills
A potentially historic ice storm expected this weekend. Significant power outages likely.
Following yesterday’s initial round of ice pellets and freezing rain, the more significant freezing rain event is about to get underway. It will likely begin as ice pellets once again but change to freezing rain this morning and persist until it changes to rain later this afternoon.
The additional ice buildup won’t be as severe as earlier expected - perhaps 10 to at most 15 mm. However, strong winds gusting to 70 to locally 80 km/h in combination with the ice accumulation will likely still result in many power outages due to fallen trees limbs and power lines.
Dangerous winter driving conditions are expected on untreated roads, worsened by fallen tree limbs.
Travel is not recommended. Stay away from fallen power lines.
Public Safety Canada encourages everyone to make an emergency plan and get an emergency kit with drinking water, food, medicine, a first-aid kit and a flashlight.
- UPDATE: Police Release New Photos of Suspect Following Hate Crimes in Burlington
- Here’s Why Some Burlington Residents Can Now be Fined Up to $100K
- Desperation for Rentals Reaches Fever Pitch in Halton
- A New Restaurant and Bar is Now Open in Milton
- Suspect Sought After More Than $700 Worth of Clothing Stolen From Mapleview Centre in Burlington