Man charged with human trafficking offences after police raid in Burlington
Police say a Burlington man is facing a number of human trafficking-related offences following a Dec. 20 raid at a home and business in the Mt. Nemo area in the city.
Halton police say that on Dec. 20, 2019, members of the police services’ Child Abuse and Sexual Assault (CASA) Unit, with support from the Emergency Services Unit (including tactical and canine officers) and additional investigative officers, arrested a 58-year-old male in connection with multiple offences, including human trafficking, sexual assault, and assault.
These offences are alleged to have taken place in the City of Burlington and the Town of Milton between January 2006 and December 2019.
Police say the alleged offences involved more than one victim.
Police say Jarry Ahlowalia is facing a number of charges, including seven counts of assault, assault with a weapon, sexual assault, trafficking in persons (forced labour), uttering threats, extortion, unsafe storage/transportation of a firearm, receiving material benefit from trafficking in persons (forced labour) and more.
Police say the accused is known to use a number of aliases, including Gerry Aholowalia, Jarry Mohan Ahlowalia, Jarry Awalia, Mohan J. Walia, M.J. Awalia, Jarry Ahluwalia, Mohan Ahuwalia, Jarry A’Walia, and Jarry Walia.
“Investigators believe there are community members who may have any additional information pertaining to this investigation and they are asked to contact the Child Abuse and Sexual Assault (CASA) Unit at 905-825-4747 ext. 8970,” police say.
Due to the fact this investigation is ongoing, police say no further details will be provided regarding the investigation.
“Every person has the right to feel safe in our community,” police said in a statement.
“Victims of violence and/or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact the Halton Regional Police Service.”
Police are encouraging anyone who has been a victim of sexual assault to contact the following organizations:
* Halton Regional Police Service Victim Services Unit 905-825-4777
* Nina’s Place Sexual Assault and Domestic Assault Care Centre 905-336-4116 or 905-681-4880
* Sexual Assault and Violence Intervention Services (SAVIS) 905-875-1555 (24-hour crisis line)
* Radius Child & Youth Services 905-825-3242 (Oakville) or 1-855-744-9001
* Kid’s Help Phone 1-800-668-6868 (24-hour crisis line)
* THRIVE Counselling 905-845-3811 or 905-637-5256
- Additional charges laid on Burlington man in human trafficking operation
- Police Looking For Man Wanted in Connection With Violent Assault and Human Trafficking Offences in GTA
- Suspect Arrested Following Sexual Assault Investigation in Milton
- Owners of restaurant in Burlington raided by police issue statement
- Former Burlington Babysitter Charged With Sexual Assault