Milton to Provide Grant for Canada Day 2020 Fireworks at Woodbine Mohawk Park
With Canada Day 2019 just recently passing, many people may not be thinking about Canada Day 2020 quite yet. However, next year's Canada Day celebrations have been a hot topic in the town of Milton as of recently.
In a report that went to council on Aug. 12, it was recommended that the town commits to providing a grant, following part of the municipal act, to Woodbine Mohawk Park (Mohawk) to an upset limit of $20,000 for its Canada Day 2020 fireworks display.
It was also recommended that town staff be directed to pursue sponsorship opportunities for the grant. And it was further recommended that staff should be authorized to transfer funding from the Ontario Lottery Corporation Proceeds reserve for any shortfalls that may arise.
These recommendations were approved by council on Aug. 12, 2019.
According to the report, Canada Day in Milton has been supported and organized by volunteers for over 20 years. However, the Milton Canada Day Committee (CDC) decided that this year (2019) would be their last year organizing the celebration.
As a result, town staff approached Mohawk and agreed to host the event moving forward. The only request was for the town to support the financial expenses of the fireworks display.
"Mohawk is a tremendous community partner and staff are excited that they will be hosting Canada Day beginning in 2020," reads the report. "Although event planning will not take place until the fall, residents can expect the celebration to be very similar to what happens at Mohawk on Victoria Day with activations for families and a fireworks display. Staff will work directly with their team to ensure a successful transition and promotion of the event."
Are you excited for Canada Day 2020 in Milton?
To read the full report, click here.
- Burlington's Walk Off The Earth releases latest viral hit ahead of Canada Day
- Cyclist taken to trauma centre after being struck by police cruiser in Milton
- What's open and closed Canada Day in Burlington, Oakville, and Milton
- Traffic stop leads to assault with weapon charge in Oakville
- Suspects arrested after carjacking attempts in Oakville and Milton
- Woodbine Mohawk Park in Milton implements new measures as precaution against COVID-19
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Woodbine Mohawk Park in Milton
- Town of Oakville unveils Canada Day celebration plans and schedule
- Oakville staff recommends tax increase for 2020
- Bronte BIA Raises Concerns About Transportation Plans on Canada Day in Oakville