New Oakville Public Library Opening In May
A new Oakville Public Library branch, in collaboration with Oakville's Recreation and Culture department, will open to the public on May 1.
The Sixteen Mile Branch is located on the property of the Sixteen Mile Sports Complex at 3070 Neyagawa Blvd. It is 5,000 square feet of flexible space and innovative design. The building will be used for both the library, and recreation and culture programs.
The Town of Oakville is celebrating the new branch with a Grand Opening event on June 8 at 11 a.m. They are inviting everyone to come join.
"We are excited to welcome the public to our newest branch," says Councillor Jeff Knoll, chair of the library's Board of Directors. "North Oakville is growing rapidly. We recognized the need for library and additional recreation and culture services in this community and we responded to that need."
The branch offers reading spaces, study tables, computers, laptops, and a diverse collection of books and DVDs. It also has a Tinker Toy collection to support Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM)-learning and a children's area. On the recreation side, they offer youth drop-in programs and recreation program opportunities.
The construction of the branch began in September 2018. It has cost a total of $3,324,000, $2,403,000 for the building and $921,000 for the book and DVD collection, furniture, and information systems.
According to the Oakville Public Library website, the Town of Oakville and the library will work collaboratively in the next couple of years to expand the library, and recreation and culture facilities at the Sixteen Mile Sports Complex, with Oakville Public Library's Sixteen Mile Branch to serve the growing community in the meantime.
Photo courtesy of Oakville Library.
- G2 driver clocked going 206 km/h in Oakville
- Halton police search for missing Oakville teen
- Man charged with break and enter while family was sleeping: Halton Police
- Canadian military preparing to get involved in COVID-19 pandemic
- Burlington Sound of Music Festival 2020 cancelled due to COVID-19 outbreak
- Big Changes are Coming to This Branch of The Oakville Public Library
- Here’s When the Newest Branch of the Milton Public Library is Opening
- Big Changes are Coming to the Oakville Public Library’s Glen Abbey Branch
- Oakville Public Library Opens New Express Location
- Here’s How You Can Plant Your Own Garden Courtesy of the Oakville Public Library