Oakville Woman Makes Prestigious List
An Oakville woman is officially on a legendary list.
And her creation is just one of eight selected in its category.
Suzanne Del Rizzo’s My Beautiful Birds is on the New York Times Notable Children's Books of 2017 list in the picture book category.
“With lovely, unusual mixed media art and a hopeful story, Del Rizzo finds an approachable way to tell the story of a boy forced to flee his home during war, who finds healing and a new friend through caring for birds,” reads the NY Times article.
Titles from the best in picture books, middle grade, and young adult fiction and nonfiction categories are chosen by the children's books editor of the New York Times Book Review.
Written and illustrated by Del Rizzo, the book was published in 2017 by Pajama Press and the accolades keep coming.
Here’s a sample:
- 2017 Malka Penn Award for Human Rights in Children's Literature winner.
- 2017 Middle East Book Award: Picture Book Category honourable mention.
- 2017 New York Public Library's Best Books for Kids and Teens selection.
- 2017 One Book, One San Diego Kids' Selection.
- 2017 NECBA Windows and Mirrors Selection.
- 2017 Cybils Award: Fiction Picture Book nominee.
- 2017 Junior Library Guild Selection.
Image courtesy of suzannedelrizzo.com
- These Were the Most Borrowed Books from Milton Public Library in 2017
- These Were the Most Borrowed Books from Burlington Public Library in 2017
- 10 Feminist Books to Read at Burlington Public Library
- You'll Never Guess How Many People Joined This Dating Site in 2017
- 5 Most Popular Houses of the Week in Oakville and Burlington 2017