Severe Thunderstorm Watch in Effect For Oakville, Burlington and Milton
According to Environment Canada numerous thunderstorms are expected to affect much of southern Ontario this afternoon and early evening. Damaging wind gusts and torrential downpours giving rainfall amounts in excess of 50 mm are the main threats.
Large hail can damage property and cause injury. Strong wind gusts can toss loose objects, damage weak buildings, break branches off trees and overturn large vehicles. Heavy downpours can cause flash floods and water pooling on roads. Lightning kills and injures Canadians every year. Remember, when thunder roars, go indoors!
Severe thunderstorm watches are issued when atmospheric conditions are favourable for the development of thunderstorms that could produce one or more of the following: large hail, damaging winds, torrential rainfall.
The Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management recommends that you take cover immediately if threatening weather approaches.
- Burlington - Oakville
- Halton Hills - Milton
- Mississauga - Brampton
- Police looking for missing 24-year-old Burlington woman
- Halton District School Board releases reopening plan for Sept. 2020
- Protect your pets: Is there an uptick in fox sightings in Halton?
- Ottawa sets minimum unemployment rate at 13.1 per cent for EI calculation
- PHOTOS: The cheapest (and most expensive) homes sold in Halton in July