Suspected Handyman Scammer Targeting Burlington Seniors
A handyman who’s accused of bilking seniors in Oakville may also be linked to defrauding older residents in Burlington.
Halton police say they’re investigating one case in Burlington and believe “there may be more victims who paid for contractor services they did not receive.”
The suspect was going door-to-door offering services and taking cash deposits for jobs such as eaves trough cleaning and chimney repair, Halton police allege following a seven-month investigation, "for the promised jobs which he failed to complete" in Oakville.
The suspect generally targeted older adult homeowners in Halton Region, according to police.
A man was arrested on Aug. 23.
Elwood Bowler, 54, of Toronto is charged with nine counts of fraud under $5,000 and one count of fraud over $5,000.
Burlington residents who may be victims and have had contact with the suspect on their property to complete eaves trough repair, tree cutting, roofing or other home maintenance are asked to contact Burlington elders investigator, Detective Constable Derek Gray, at 905-825-4747 ext. 2344 or file a report by calling 905-825-4777.
File photo courtesy of Halton Regional Police
- Handyman Charged For Scamming Seniors in Oakville
- Handyman Arrested for Fraud in Oakville Facing More Charges
- Burlington Man Arrested For Allegedly Defrauding Syrian Refugees
- Police Nab Alleged Purse Thieves Targeting Women in Oakville and Burlington
- Pair Charged in Purse Thefts Targeting Seniors Across Halton