Tenant Pleads Guilty to Disabling Smoke Alarm in Halton Hills
A Halton Hills resident was hit with a penalty for disabling the smoke alarm in a rental home on John Street.
Following up on a complaint, Halton Hills Fire Department staff found that the tenant had reportedly removed the smoke alarm on the main level.
The accused pleaded guilty to the charge of "Disabling a Smoke Alarm" in the Ontario Court of Justice in January.
The accused was issued a fine of $360.
Tenants are reminded that it’s their responsibility to ensure smoke and CO alarms are not disabled, and they are to notify their landlord immediately if there are any problems.
Smoke alarms are required on every level of the home, near bedrooms and in the basement.
- Indigo lays off 5,200 employees, stores closed indefinitely
- Halton Pet Adoption: "Jumping" Joey
- Canadian military preparing to get involved in COVID-19 pandemic
- Arrests made after masked men rob Burlington LCBO
- Doug Ford discusses help for businesses and urges residents not to go to cottages during COVID-19 outbreak
- Halton Landlord Charged After Basement Fire
- Oakville Fire Department Issues Important Reminder for Residents
- Oakville Residents Reminded About Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
- Here’s How Burlington Firefighters are Working to Keep Homes in the City Safe
- Here’s How you can Have a Safe Holiday Season in Halton