Toronto Man Arrested in Acton
A 20-year-old Toronto man is facing a slew of charges following a chase in Halton Hills.
The call came in on June 3 at 5:30 a.m.
That’s when Halton police were contacted by an attendant at the Esso gas station at Hwy. 7 and 22 Side Road.
A man had just used a stolen credit card to purchase several hundred dollars in gift cards and left in a vehicle heading toward Acton, police learned.
Officers were given a licence plate, realizing the vehicle was reported stolen from Durham Region.
An officer spotted the suspect vehicle parked in front of the Shell gas station on Queen St. near Acton Blvd. in Acton and saw the suspect in the kiosk.
After a brief confrontation, the suspect fled on foot and police quickly set up a perimeter awaiting the arrival of a police dog.
An off-duty Halton police officer -who had just completed a nightshift and was on his way home- saw the male in a residential area south of the gas station.
The suspect fled the area on foot, running through backyards into a forested area bordered by train tracks.
As police continued to search for the suspect, a homeowner had contacted 911 to report a suspicious male on his rural property who had asked him to call a taxi.
Officers converged and the man fled into a crop field.
He was seen by officers crawling in the low growth and was confronted by the K9 unit.
The suspect was arrested without incident.
Police allge the man had a fixed blade knife hidden in his waistband.
Further investigation revealed that the man had entered several vehicles while on the run from police “in a likely attempt to steal one and make his escape,” investigators allege.
Police are asking residents to report if their vehicle had been entered on this date and to contact police if they locate any discarded property in and around their homes.
The suspect is in custody awaiting a bail hearing on a slew of charges including possession over $5,000; theft under $5,000; possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, obstruct and breach probation.
His name hasn’t yet been released.
Photo courtesy of Halton Regional Police
- Multiple Collisions Prompting Road Closure in Oakville
- Milton Man Dead After Fatal Crash in Oakville
- Police Warn Residents to Beware of Serious and Ongoing Taxi Scam in Halton
- Shoppers Drug Mart About to Start Offering These Minor Surgical Procedures in Oakville
- Major Delays Caused After Transport Truck Rolls into Ditch in Milton
- Suspect Arrested After Fleeing from Stolen Car in Halton Hills
- Police Hunt Suspect After Break-In, High-Speed Chase in Milton
- Oakville Suspect Arrested After Driver Flees Police in Stolen Vehicle
- Police Searching For Suspect Following Gas Station Robbery in Oakville
- Police Looking to ID Alleged Car Thief After Officer Injured in Stolen Vehicle Collision in Burlington