UPDATE: Foul Play Not Suspected Following Double Fatality in Burlington
Halton Police do not suspect foul play following a double fatality that occurred in Burlington earlier this month.
At 8:01 p.m. on July 2, Halton Police received reports that a vehicle had driven into Lake Ontario from LaSalle Park in Burlington.
According to police, initial information was received that there were several occupants trapped inside the vehicle that was described as a navy blue sedan.
Police divers of the Peel Regional Police Service and the Toronto Police Service went to the scene and assisted with the recovery efforts.
Police say the vehicle was extracted from the lake by divers and a heavy tow service.
However, two adults were located deceased in the vehicle, a 55-year-old-male and a 51-year-old female from Burlington.
Now, Halton Police say they do not suspect foul play.
"An inspection of the vehicle has found no defects that would contribute to a loss of control or collision," says the Halton Police Collision Reconstruction Unit. "Halton Police do not suspect foul play. Medical factors may have contributed to this incident and the coroner has listed a medical condition involving the heart (of the male) as the cause of death on the preliminary report."
Ryan Anderson, Halton Police Media Relations Officer, says that investigators believe the male was the driver.
Drowning, according to Anderson, has been confirmed to be the cause of death for the female passenger.
- Police are searching for a missing 10-year-old girl from Oakville
- Thousands take to Burlington streets to march against racism
- Streets closing for march against anti-Black racism in Burlington
- Burlington City Council votes to modify parks and beach operations amid COVID-19
- Looming cold front will bring an end to scorching hot temperatures in Halton
- UPDATE: Two Deceased Adults Located in Submerged Vehicle in Burlington
- Halton Police Arrest One Suspect Following Vehicle Crashing into Lake Ontario
- 'Rough play' suspected as Halton police locate dead body in Oakville
- Police Investigating After Deceased Woman Located in Vehicle in Burlington
- Police Looking to ID Alleged Car Thief After Officer Injured in Stolen Vehicle Collision in Burlington