VIDEO: Something Special--and Adorable--is Coming to Pearson Airport
Traveling can be stressful, but it doesn’t have to be.
Especially when dogs are there to support more nervous travelers.
Good news, dog lovers—Toronto Pearson International Airport and the St. John Ambulance (SJA) Therapy Dog Program are partnering to bring the adorable faces of 15 therapy dog teams to Canada’s biggest airports.
The Therapy Dog teams will roam Terminals 1 and 3 to bring enjoyment and help alleviate the anxiety that some passengers experience while travelling.
“At Toronto Pearson, passengers are our passion, and critical to that mission is ensuring all passengers feel relaxed and comfortable while travelling through our airport,” said Scott Collier, Vice President, Customer and Terminal Services, Toronto Pearson.
“We know that travelling can be stressful, and a friendly visit with a therapy dog can make all the difference in the world to anxious travellers. Seeing people smile when they meet and experience the unconditional love of a therapy dog in our terminals is both comforting and rewarding.”
Welcome to the team! We are partnering with the St. John Ambulance Therapy Dog Program @toronto_T_Dogs to bring the friendly faces of 15 therapy dog teams to YYZ. #therapydogs #dogswithjobs pic.twitter.com/XmrPPhnVHn— Toronto Pearson (@TorontoPearson) February 20, 2019
While it might sound like fluff, there’s method (and science) to this heartwarming madness.
The Greater Toronto Airports Authority points out that engaging with a therapy dog has been known to have a positive effect in helping to reduce anxiety and create a sense of calm.
Along with their handlers wearing the distinctive blue Toronto Pearson Welcome Team vests or jackets, SJA therapy dogs Bella, Cheyenne, Daisey, Ghost, Hunter, Kahlua, Luna, Pumpkin, Ringo Starr, Shep, Snickers, Sofia, and Zorie will roam the terminals on a flexible, weekly rotation.
They can be spotted by their official red and white SJA Therapy Dog bandanas.
Passengers are welcome to approach the dogs and pet them to help them relax while at the airport.
“We are proud to bring the St. John Ambulance Therapy Dog Program to Toronto Pearson as part of the Toronto Pearson Welcome Team,” said Larry Shack, St. John Ambulance Therapy Dog Toronto Pearson Program Coordinator. “Our therapy dog teams are honoured to continue our tradition of community service by bringing the benefits of therapy dogs to passengers at Toronto Pearson and helping them feel relaxed and comfortable while travelling through the airport.”
Will you be petting the dogs when you pass through Pearson?
- Police Looking for Owner of Dog Believed to be Hit by Car in Burlington
- Severe Thunderstorm Warning Currently in Effect for Halton
- Desperation for Rentals Reaches Fever Pitch in Halton
- UPDATE: Oakville Regional and Town Councillor Refuses to Step Down After In-Laws Charged by OPP
- Here's How Much House Prices Have Fallen in Halton
- Here’s Why Toronto Pearson Airport Was Recently Recognized
- This is How Many Flights are Cancelled at Toronto Pearson Airport
- Here's How to Order Restaurant Food to Pearson Airport for the First Time Ever
- There's a New Way to Leave Pearson Airport
- Here's How Many People Are Expected to Come Through Pearson Airport Soon