What Will Downtown Georgetown Look Like in 20 Years?
It’s never too early to start planning for the future, and in fact that is exactly what the community of Georgetown is doing.
The community is currently planning for future developments that will take place over the next 20 years regarding building height, urban design, land use, and density.
This plan is referred to as Destination Downtown.
The Destination Downtown Planning Study is currently in the fifth stage of six.
Each phase of the Downtown Planning Study allowed for community involvement, and phase four, which includes getting feedback on the Preliminary Preferred Downtown Planning Alternative is still ongoing according to the community.
A public open house will take place in early 2019 where a draft of the Secondary Plan will be presented.
Here’s what we know so far.
With enhanced public area initiatives and sustainable development, downtown Georgetown is expected to grow.
In order for this growth to become a reality guiding principles of Destination Downtown include ensuring new development celebrates and protects the previously built heritage character of community, establishing a variety of public gathering spaces to support cultural events, community life, and festivals throughout the year.
It will also include creating safe, vibrant, and comfortable pedestrian-oriented streets, promoting different building forms including housing types, enhancing and preserving natural features, incorporating sustainable development and construction practices, and demonstrating high-quality designs in new developments.
Community staff is seeking direction to get public feedback on the Preliminary Preferred Alternative, and council is being asked to endorse this alternative.
If endorsed, the consultant team will then undertake detailed technical assessments on the following: urban design, sustainability, parking, mobility, servicing, fiscal impact, market, natural heritage system, and cultural heritage.
After these assessments, the first draft of the Downtown Georgetown Secondary Plan will be prepared by council.
We will continue to provide updates on the progress of Destination Downtown as they become available.
Graphic is courtesy of Halton Hills.
Cover photo is courtesy of the Downtown Georgetown Facebook page.
- A Frightening New Scam is Scaring Halton Residents into Giving Up Private Information
- Halton District School Board Teacher Accused of Misconduct
- Here’s How This Oakville Resident is Changing the Instagram Game
- Peel Police Advising The Public Of On-Going "Emergency Scam"
- Here’s How Hot it’s Going to Feel in Halton This Weekend
- Downtown Milton is Getting a Makeover
- Planning Study Underway for Burlington Waterfront Hotel
- Milton Councillors Approve Public Square Plans for Downtown Milton
- Best Downtown Restaurant Battle: Downtown Oakville Vs. Downtown Burlington
- Proposed Amendments to Oakville's Plans for Growth Open for Public Review